Use of a second Damp Proof Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope you can help me with a question relating to my floor prep. I am in the process of building an extension at the back of my house. It is a large lounge area which measures 9m x 4.7m internally.

The floor prep is as follows:
- hardcore
- sand
- 1200 gauge DPM (Taped to the membrane coming out of the walls)
- 2*100mm Celotex Insulation
- 1000 gauge DPM (belt and braces)
- steel mesh in concrete slab
- screed

Question - are there any issues with the use of the second (1000 gauge) membrane on top of the insulation? As a layman, I thought it would give me added protection against the possibility of damp rising through the concrete slab and also protect the insulation from the concrete properties.

Can you please advise on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The board manufacturers actually recommend a secod sheet above the insulation to protect it from the wet concrete.
It also stops the boards floating around whilst the concrete is poured.

Thanks @tony1851. I'm encouraged by your response. I've had a couple of tradesman now note that "we've never seen a second sheet", and "this will cause damp issues", etc. This has caused me some doubt and hence the post. Have you done this yourself?

Sponsored Links
That's great. I spoke with Celotex and they suggested the same. This is compulsory according to them.
Thanks for your help pal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back