Use of exterior masonary paint inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone

I'm thinking of using masonary paint as a base coat on the internal walls of a conservatory. The reason I want to use masonary paint is because the walls used to get damp and the emulsion that is on there at the moment cracks and just winds up looking horrible.

The reason I think masonary paint would serve as a good base coat is because I have used it on an internal wall a few years ago and the wall which I used it on was far worse then the one I'm planning to use it on. What are people's opinions??

Sponsored Links
As you say 'used to get damp' are we to assume that it no longer does? Also, does the wall have an exterior type finish eg, render or roughcast? If so, you can use masonry paint on it provided all loose/flaky paint is removed. It is probably wise to use a stabiliser first though to stop any future problems (lots of threads on that subject if you want to use the search facility).
I wouldnt recommend masonry paint for a plastered surface but it can be used successfully if the surface is sound and has been sealed/misted and is constantly dry.

I think here that the most imortant thing to establish is what the conservatory is constructed of and if the the walls within it are still subject to the ingress of water/moisture.

Dec

Sponsored Links
....if the paint is for a wall inside a conservatory, would i be correct in assuming that, before the conservatory was built, the wall was an EXTERIOR one?

If so yes, masonry paint would be fine, however a word of caution, masonry paint often has certain resins and chemicals in it that are designed, obviously, for better protection outside, so if using in an enclosed space, make sure the doors to the outside, from your conservatory remain OPEN and the structure is well ventilated, whilst, and after, painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back