Using 12 v 85 ah battery in ride on mower /tractor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been putting a lawn tractor together for my small son. I have a 12v 85ah battery that was originally used on a golf buggy, I realise that the ah is overkill but is there any reason that I can't use it on this?
The engine is a 11.5 hp Briggs and Stratton and the battery starter wires are heavy duty
16mm2.
Any advice welcome
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I use 70 Ah i.e. two 35 Ah hour in series to power my mobility scooter. Not that it did very well, went to doctors to try it out, 1 mile, and it got me there and part way back then conked out, I am sure walking all the way would have been easier than pushing it ½ a mile. Lucky last 100 yards some girl helped me.

Sponsored Links
I would concur, bit of a sledge hammer and walnut job but it shouldn't have any trouble starting it - or you could as suggested take the spark plug out and run it on the battery.;)

Peter

You'll be fine. However an 11.5hp Briggs & Stratton will probably have a pretty puny charging coil. That won't be a problem while the battery is healthy and charged, and you're only asking the coil to top up what's been taken out by the starter and ignition, but don't expect it to charge the battery if the battery runs well down. At least, not unless you plan on running the engine non-stop for a couple of weeks!

Back