Using a combi tester???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very simple/numbty question, but just to put my mind at ease.

When using a combi test or multimeter, I presume it is ok to test between live and neutral, l & E, E & N or different live to live on 3 phase. Its not going to blow up/affect the circuit i'm testing is it?.

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to do?

You shouldn't really be using anything without GS38 compliant leads and probes on a live circuit... those mutimeters go bang if you've left them on the wrong range :LOL:

simply using a combi tester (with probes <4mm) (or multimeter on correct setting) to test what voltage is between the two wires

Are we talking about one of these: http://www.pat-training.co.uk/combitest_part_p_tester.htm ?

Then yes, as long as its got a function for measuring supply voltage then you can use it, bit bulky for that though, one of these would be perhaps better: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=SO&U=strat320&T=sitenew&ModuleNo=46245 (note, only UK spec version is GS38 compliant!)

Ordinary multimeter should be kept away from live circuit unless you have GS38 test leads for it!, one day you will leave it on basic continuity/bleep range and forget about it until it goes bang!

Sponsored Links
nope not a multi tester, it is one of the little combi tester with GS38 leads.
I've only tested dead circuit before after I've installed it for insualtion and continuity, then my boss would connect up to supply, and so was alittle paranoid about simply testing for a voltage in an existing circuit, as only been training/working for last month.
But thanks for the clarity, I can use the combi tester between any inputs (l,N,E) for their voltage.

Cheers

Do still bear in mind, that while fused leads with the correct fuse in should stop the insument exploding in a fireball in your face should you get it wrong, if you **** up, don't expect it to work again!, a lot of the older loop testers are not for phase->phase use, etc

I'm still not sure what instrument we are actually talking about by 'combi test' here?

Ground down [/pendant]

Still doesn't give you fused leads, but still at least you can't leave it on the wrong setting!

I'd still prefer something that was made to meet GS38 properly though, though I'll conceed that its a lot better than a multimeter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back