Using a lintel as a foundation

Perhaps I'm being daft, but shouldn't there be a concern about the steel in the lintel rusting and causing the lintel to deteriorate. After all, they're not really designed to be sat in wet mud are they?
Or would the op need to specify one with high tensile stainless rod inside? Can you even get such a thing?

Sponsored Links
The steel is inside the lintel. And, at the ends, it's protected by the masonry.

I know the steel is inside the lintel, but I thought it extends to the ends (isn't that how they're made - by stressing the overlength steel, pour the lintel, trim the steel to length?), so the ends are exposed, and will rust. And the rust will creep into the lintel and destroy it (albeit slowly).
Perhaps a coat or two of bitumen over the ends will help, but I can't help thinking that lintels should be up in the air, somewhere reasonably dry, not sat in wet ground.

Yes, that is how they are made. If you're worried, stop them 2" short of the wall reveal and mix up some concrete to cover the ends. Or paint with bitumen, as you suggest. It'll see all of us out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back