Using a manual timer with a Biasi digital combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Biasi boiler (M90D) has the worst digal timer in the world. I want to know if there is a way I can bypass this or replace this with a simple manual timer.

I don't care if it looks ugly, or the timer needs to go on the wall, I just want something that is easier to use than the one already there, preferably a manual one where you can see what's set without having to press any fiddly buttons. I can see how to get the old timer out, but there are no manual options for direct replacements for this boiler.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Sponsored Links
If you already have a room thermostat fitted this could be replaced with a programmable thermostat which combines timer and thermostat in one unit.

You would then set the existing boiler timer to have the heating on permanently while the new unit would actually take control of the ON/OFF times. Fairly sure they all have digital displays though and you could find them just as fiddly to operate.

Something more traditional like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/T100-C-Hour...88535&sr=8-6&keywords=electrical+socket+timer

could be fitted but not quite so easily as a room thermostat swap.

Yes the second is what I'd really like, I don't have a thermostat unfortunately so it's a bit harder than that.

I'm sure there are better digital timers that aren't as buggy as the one I currently have, but the manual ones are just so much quicker to use.

So the question is, how do I go about wiring one up!

unless you're very comfortable with mains wiring and have a multimeter I wouldn't recommend trying. The installation manual is also very vague about the switching voltage used for the room thermostat terminals. (As you don't have a room thermostat these will be linked by a short wire at the moment).

The timer I linked to simply produces a 230V output when it's ON, so to link this with the boiler room thermostat connections you would almost certainly need a 230V relay, otherwise some serious boiler damage is very likely.

Edit: Just came across this one which could do the job with no extra components but the caution about working near mains voltages still applies.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-103-mechanical-timeswitch/20940

Sponsored Links
The time clock in that boiler is very simple to use!

But any external connection to that boiler MUST be a volt free contacts only!

Sounds as if a professional may be a better bet! At least is he damages the boiler then you can blame him.

Tony

I honestly find it a complete pain in the arse, it also seems to be buggy as hell, maybe mine is just broken.

My issues are :
a) the red position switch is far too small without definite positions so it's too easy to leave it set to the wrong thing(there is no text either to indicate position, it's all worn off)
b)there is no way to glance at the timer and see what time I've got it set to come on in the morning
c)changing the time to come on in the morning is a pain, a manual timer requires me to push in a few knobs - this requires me to cycle through a load of options and not be certain the correct time is even set
d)I have no option to put the heating on for half an hour

that's a start, generally the time required to use it is 10 times that of a manual timer and the chance of mistakes also greater.

The red sliding switch has detents at each position. The display changes at each position.

You can use the timer function to set the boiler to stay on although only in 1 hour increments.

Once set you can easily review the settings.

It sounds as if you don't have a room stat and are controlling your boiler by the timeclock instead!

Why not fit a room stat?

It seems you don't use modern digital devices if you think a mech times is your solution.

They are most inflexible, only have same day settings and cannot program for a whole week, have no holiday off period and are limited to min 30 min on or off in most cases!

Tony

I accept your point, I agree there is more flexibility with the digital timers but for ease of use the manual ones have always felt better. As I say though, this one is old, worn and buggy which makes things harder.

The display certainly doesn't change depending on the position of the red switch so maybe that is broken.

I do know I can turn it on for an hour, but this involves moving the red switch again which has frequently ended up in the wrong position because it's so small.

Anyway, all this aside, you're right, I am controlling the house via the boiler, there is no thermostat. How would I go about fitting one of these if that is actually a better way to go?

In fact I challenge somone to tell me, when faced with this, where the hell would you start. It may be more flexible, but all I want to do it to set it to come on at one time and off at another, and quickly. This to me is too over complicated for such a small panel. The red swich has 4 positions and is less than a cm in size. Madness! :)

That is the seven day version.

You can set up to six on/off changes for each day of the week!

Up for set clock

next down for set days/times

next down for auto run

Bottom for set timer.

BUT if using the timer you have to return it to the auto position. That catches people out! It then reverts to the programmed times.

The reset spot erases all saved programs which is a useful start position when it has been played with by the unknowing!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back