Using a water based satinwood directly over a water matt emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I'm a complete novice at painting, but want to give our interior wooden doors a coat of paint.
The original paint is a water based satinwood brilliant white (Dulux diamond white).
Over the years this has had patches of a water based vinyl matt emulsion to cover things up over the years - it looks very patchy and messy.
Now, I really want to keep this as simple as possible. Am I going to be able to just apply the Dulux diamond white as an extra coat? Will it cover the patches of emulsion effectively, or will it start flaking or peeling?
Or will I really need to sand it down? If so, where will I go from there?
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would give it a sand until it was smooth and the emulsion was gone, then a coat of say Leyland Acrylic Primer/undercoat, then a couple of top coats, but you'd probably get away with just the new top coats ofter sanding.

Thanks I will sand and then just stick with the top coats, and hopefully get away with it.

Sponsored Links
I used Dulux diamond white on entire property, wished I hadn't, very poor results [and very expensive] and had to redo the lot with gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back