Using aluminium primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s been many years since I last used aluminium primer and I can remember it was terrible stuff to use. Thick and draggy causing lumps and bubbles.

I’ve just bought a tin of Dulux aluminium primer for my sapele windows. It look quite a while to get it mixed properly and I now realise the previous stuff was probably well past its shelf life.

I’ve now applied two coats to the sapele with a rub down between and a wipe down with white spirit after sanding.

The second coat is now drying but I can still see sapele. I made sure I covered every area fully but it’s still showing. Should I apply a third coat?

F3B588AB-3204-4752-98FA-C33FD0D57B25.jpeg
F00F1A12-4508-446B-B913-BC37EB432CF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think I would, so you can't see through it.

Work out of the sun to help the wet edge.

You need very little fine sanding, just take the flies and any snots off, and dull it.

The top and bottom edges, and the glass rebates, can be painted more generously to maximise protection.

Sponsored Links
Right, the third coat has now covered ok. Thanks.

Is ally primer water resistant? I ask because I guess it will be a couple of weeks before all five lights are glazed and fitted. Especially when two of them are openers and the existing frame is well out of square!

Would you recommend putting a couple of coats of undercoat on before they are fitted?

Richard
1CCD266B-7F42-4A5B-AD6B-72BC43A5D603.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back