Using Combi Whilst CH Drained

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was thinking of draining the CH system down as I have a few rads and valves to change but will be doing so over a few weeks and will still need hot water.

Have read a few posts which state hot water not possible if CH drained? What if the CH flow and return valves are both closed off before the system is drained - will this allow me to continue using the hot water as essentially the combi is isolated from the CH circuit so won't matter if it's drained or not?

Hope someone confirms this is OK as have been running the combi with the CH valves closed off as recommended by service engineer to eliminate the combi as a cause of a pressure drop in the system!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, that should work. As long as the boiler is registering correct pressure (1.2Bar approx) it will operate hot water.

Thanks for reply, just worried as I'd read a lot of people saying the boiler can't be used if CH drained but nobody suggesting closing off the valves at the combi before draining!

Cheers

Depends on the boiler I would say best to check with the manufacturer.

Most of the modern boilers do a pump over run to cool the applicance and heat exchanger after supplying hot water and for this to happen both the flow and return must be connected and filled.

Nothing stopping you cutting the flow and return pipes and installing some
temporary pipework.

Sponsored Links
You did not tell us the boiler model.

Most older boilers are very tolerant of anything like this but care should be taken if its a modern premix boiler as the specific heat of the components is very low.

Tony

Hi all,

It's a baxi 105he which has been in about 6 year now.

I've not cut into any of the CH pipework yet so can easily re-open the valves if thats the best thing to do?

Just would have preferred to drain down and get all the jobs done then refill later rather than have to drain a couple of times as some of the rooms not yet ready to have the pipework done yet but suppose I could just leave the rooms that are until I can do it all at once!

Thanks again for the advice all.

I dont think you will have much of a problem with that model.

But do turn down the hot temp as low as you can live with first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back