Using old colour SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Years ago I had an electrician install a SWA cable to my wooden shed at the bottom of the garden. I use it as a workshop.

I have since removed the shed as it got rotten. I have switched off the MCB to the SWA cable and taped the conductors up with tape and put them in a water tight box, for now.

I want to have a new brick outbuilding build where the old shed was.

Can I re-use the existing buried old coloured SWA cable for the new building ?

There would have to be a new CU installed and circuits added.

Thanks for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Provided it's OK, i.e. it passes the insulation resistance and continuity tests that your electrician will do, and it's adequate for the load then you may re-use it.

WOW that was a fast reply, I'm still online :eek:

I'm going to get a sparky in when the new shed is up to do it all, I assume he/she can test it as well ? Do they need this Part P ?

Thanks for reply, I assume you do like some SHEDS then :)

yes and no... it's installing new circuits / CU etc so it's part P notifiable, but if you've already / planning to involve the LABC then they can test it for you and you can do it yourself..
you can still go that route as long as you notify the LABC about the electrical work and pay the fees even if they aren't involved in the rest of the build..
or you can pay a registered sparky and he'll notify for you ( which will be included in his price )..

it's a couple hundred to the LABC and do the work yourself, or £200-£400 to the sparky and he does it all for you..

te "sheds" that BAS refers to in his name are the large diy "sheds" such as B&Q or Focus etc..

Sponsored Links
WOW that was a fast reply, I'm still online :eek:
Feel free to click the button..... ;)

I'm going to get a sparky in when the new shed is up to do it all, I assume he/she can test it as well ? Do they need this Part P ?
It would be simpler, in practice, if (s)he was registered.

Thanks for reply, I assume you do like some SHEDS then :)
As ColJack said, I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

nobanhd9.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back