SWA Cable for hot tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When reading this please bear in mind I am not a sparky.
I have an existing consumer unit in a garden shed which is supplied from the consumer unit in the house using 2.5mm SWA cable. In preparation for the installation of a hot tub I was asked to run 6mm SWA from the consumer unit (in the shed) via a new outdoor isolating switch to where the tub will be located.
I had done all this work. Then sitting back with a smug smile on my face I realised that like a nugget I have installed 2.5mm SWA (rated at 37amps) instead of the required 6mm SWA. The new wiring is protected by a 32 amp MCB at the consumer unit. Will it need to be changed - Will my shed burn down - will the existing cable feeding the shed consumer unit burst into flames if 6mm cable is added - how long am I liable to spend in jail for not (as yet) telling anyone about this.
Really would appreciate your considered advice

Regards

Sponsored Links
for a start your 2.5mm cable to the db is not man enough to run a hot tub. What rating is the mcb protecting that? and is the shed db rcd protected at all. What other equipment do you run from your shed? If the installer asked for 6mm then they probably want a supply of 32 amps. You will either need to upgrade house to shed, then shed to hot tub. or install ned 6mm from house, all depending on left of run. i would however suggest you call an electrician. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Steve. The more I look at what I did (as written down) the more stupid it appears. I imagine if possible the best route would be to miss out the shed completely and go straight from the house to the tub. Can the 6mm SWA be fixed to the house walls (on the outside) or does it have to be dug in a trench? Digging a trench would be a nightmare. You were right to assume the installer needs 6mm 32 amp cable

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back