using self levelling compound ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am just starting to levell my kitchen floor using wickes deep base slc as i have dips of up to 15mm in the worst place etc i have done all prep work on the floor scraping all loose debris,filled holes cracks with mortar repair,vaccumed up all dust,cleaned floor with detergent & finally priming with wickes floor primer...i had a slope in the under stairs cupboard of approx 10mm so decided to do this section of slc 1st...mixed a bag up using a whisk,poured over the floor spreading evenly with a trowel...before leaving alone to find its on levell which it did no problem...only problem was i could see quite a few airbubbles ? left overnight to dry returning today to be quite impressed with a nice new floor very flat & level...although the airbubbles etc were still apparent & now needed sanding down ? is there anything i should do differently to prevent this or is it a common situation ? cheers again

Sponsored Links
are you sure they are air bubbles? Last time i used SLC even after mixing well there were lumps of unmixed powder that were still proud of the compound. Managed to remove with a scraper before the SLC had set hard and dripped a tiny amount of water onto it. Hardly noticable after left over night

presume they are airbubbles mikey but dont seem to be causing much of a problem js scrape the proud bits off as you say...
mattysupra,when you say its not been primed properly can you plz explain to me
where im going wrong then ? i have primed the floor as it says on the tin.
im also still on with self levelling the rest of the floor especially 1 part which has a dip of about 10mm in it...went over it again sat with some wickes deep fill slc but i stll have a dip + dips in several other places where i have used the slc..as i pour it onto the floor i am spreading it with a trowel evenly but am i over spreading it maybe dragging it 2 far defeating the object of self levell.. i still need to do some more of it starting from where i left off not ideal i know as it still leaves a lip when it dries on the previous slc i laid ? should i get a sander of some type to feather it in ? cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
what primer have you used and how did you apply? Did you check to see how adsorbent the subfloor was after priming the first time to see if applied enough?

Also high moister content in the subfloor can cause air bubbles. Do you know what your moister content is?

The product you are using is not the best to be honest. Im not even sure you can reapply that product over the top one already?

As for your lip, you should skim out the whole area unless patch filling first. If you do have a lip you can sand with a brick. Then apply feather finish. Dont think wickes will do a feather finish. Try goggling FBALL ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back