Vailant Ecomax 824/2e Condensate Trap Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys

Got up this morning with water all over the worktop under the boiler. Removed cover to find where leak was coming from and saw a pool off water underneath where the trap is, unscrewed the it and was very full emptied it left it off and put heating back on, after mopping up the water, water started dripping from the pipe that sits inside the trap turned heating off again and dripping stopped. Could there be a blockage and can I fix this myself or will I need to get a plumber in. By the the condensate trap drain pipe goes outside into the kitchen waste drain could it be frozen.

Regards

Debbie (aka gsdgeorge)

Sponsored Links
It could be frozen if the condensate pipe has been incorrectly fitted outside with overflow pipe.

All external condensate pipe should be 32mm ( 1 1/4").

There is also the possibility of a leak in the boiler. Check the plastic connection that screws to the bottom of the heat exchanger. These are prone to breaking.

Hello gas4you

Its definately coming from the pipe that sits inside the trap cannot see or feel any leaks from anywhere else looks like I have to get a hairdryer to defost the extenal drain pipe.
Would it ok to put the trap back empty for now cos its getting cold in here.

Debbie

Pour some water into it, which will also prove it's clear. Technically it's part of the flue system.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have replaced the trap whilst doing so found that the plastic nut holding the black pipe that is connected to the external drain pipe was very lose have tightened it up and at the moment there are no signs of water leakage. Will wait and see what happens now.

Well is it ok to put the trap back empty?

Debbie

sorry for dragging up this old thread but I was looking for a solution to this problem and this ranked highly in Google.

I thought I should comment on the last post to save any potentially dangerous situations arising from the op‘s question...

Well is it ok to put the trap back empty?

In investigating my own issues I have read that it is dangerous to replace the condensate trap empty as this allows poisonous fumes to leak from the boiler.

Hope this prevents anyone doing it.

Yes, Rob, the trap has to be filled either before fitting or after fitting. That can be done by pouring water down the flue from the outside if it has been correctly fitted.

But a DIYer should not be opening this boiler as the case forms the combustion room sealing !

Should be done by an RGI.

Tony

A Diy`r should not be pouring water down the flue either, it can be done that way but do it wrong and you could cause expensive damage to your boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back