Vaillant boiler boost

HiQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago I worked for a floppy disk manufacturer and was surprised to learn that for economy of manufacturing all the magnetic disks inside the case were 1.44MB. The cheaper to buy 720KB disks had their storage capacity limited by a notch in the outer case. Both disks costs the same to make but sold at different prices.

Later I worked for a manufacturer of enterprise data storage systems, mainly sold to financial institutions. The standard model was $300,000 The higher capacity model was $370,000 (those were 1985 prices!!).
Talking to a service engineer I was amazed to hear he disliked having to go to customer premises if they purchased the $70,000 upgrade because he only had to flick a switch and then pretend to be busy for several hours!!

Which leads me to my enquiry ...
If I put (accidently) a 615 coding resistor in my ecoTEC 612 plus - what do you think will happen?

Meow

Sponsored Links
Don't remember the Vaillant ones but the Worcester ones are only two resistors!

But the difference between the two boiler prices is small anyway.

But unless you live in a solid wall house or a five bed detached you are unlikely to need more than 15 kW anyway. Increasing boiler power would only reduce boiler efficiency and increase gas costs.

Somewhere along the range the heat exchanger is larger. ( 24 kW ? )

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: HiQ
Sponsored Links
Don't remember the Vaillant ones but the Worcester ones are only two resistors!

I know with the worcester ones, when the code plug is installed into the pcb in the factory, on first startup the data from it is written into a memory chip on the pcb, this cannot then be overwritten to a larger output to protect against people trying to overclock the boiler. So you would have to get a new pcb as well as a code plug to fool the worcesters.

Not sure if vaillant have a similar system, but I presume they do!

• Thanks
Reactions: HiQ
If I put (accidently) a 615 coding resistor in my ecoTEC 612 plus - what do you think will happen?

If you did that the boiler will happily come up with an F.70 Coding resistor fault and stop operating.

But would it run the fan faster and give 15 kW ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back