Vaillant ecotec 637 boiler wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
I have had a boiler installed recently ecotec vaillant 637 and I was checking the wiring after as the plumber wasn't overly confident when doing it

All looks ok but on the wiring instructions attached for the Honeywell programmer, from the boiler it shows a separate boiler and pump. the earth and neutral from the boiler goes to the same terminal as the earth and neutral from the mains and timer but it shows the live going to the terminal 10 which connects to the zone valves

In reality my ecotec 637 doesn't have a separate pump but has a earth, brown live, blue neutral, a black and grey wire coming from it - there is not a separate pump with earth live and neutral wires as per the diagram

So The plumber has connected the earth, brown live and blue neutral wires to same terminal as the earth live and neutral from the mains supply and timer and the grey wire from the boiler goes to the terminal 10 which is connected to the zone valves

Is this correct ?

I attach a picture of the wiring diagram for the Honeywell timer - all is connected as shown but I don't have a separate pump for the ecotec vaillant so the wires from the boiler - earth natural and live are going to terminals 1-3 and the grey wire is going to terminal 10 (which is where on the wiring diagram it says that is where the live from the boiler should go )

Any help would be appreciated

Also is there a reason why the black wire from the boiler wire is not used ?

Sponsored Links
Are you qualified to fit Gas boilers? You've clearly done this job yourself or you wouldn't be interested.

At the very least if you're not a GS RGI you shouldn't have the front off the boiler!!

Hi I have not done the job myself it was done by qualified gas safe engineers which I found on Checkatrade but they took a while to figure it out which surprised me and also initially the heating wasn't working so they looked at the diagram again and then reconnected the wires

The main plumber got pulled onto another job on the second day and so left his less Electric savvy partner to do the wiring

Everything works fine but due to my inquisitive nature i wanted to check all was connected ok

I would never attempt to do electrics or plumbing myself so rest assured it's not my work and I have had a new boiler and 250l joule water cylinder with associated work that involves so definitely not something I would ever be competent at doing

Now we have established I am not a cowboy perhaps I can get some advice on whether what they have done is correct

Thanks

So you paid these Muppets & they didn't have a clue?
Seriously, I'd get them back & ask them the questions.

No self respecting RGI is in Checkatrade or any of the daft things.

Sponsored Links
As I said there were two of them and they did the job fine but the lesser experienced one did the wiring for the programmer whilst getting advice on the phone from his partner who was unable to come and finish off the job on the last day and was the one who apparently usually does the electrics .
All works fine now but when I heard him asking questions on the phone I just wanted to check he did it right after he left and hence the questions

If someone can answer the question rather than comment on how good or bad the plumbers were that would be helpful and would give me some peace of mind

As I said there were two of them and they did the job fine but the lesser experienced one did the wiring for the programmer whilst getting advice on the phone from his partner who was unable to come and finish off the job on the last day and was the one who apparently usually does the electrics .
All works fine now but when I heard him asking questions on the phone I just wanted to check he did it right after he left and hence the questions

If someone can answer the question rather than comment on how good or bad the plumbers were that would be helpful and would give me some peace of mind
Why not ask the 'more experienced' Muppet to come back & check the botch?? Were they Part P qualified?

yes I think that's the best option - was just hoping there was a quick answer then I could have to avoid dealing with any more muppets altogether

So you paid these Muppets & they didn't have a clue?

No self respecting RGI is in Checkatrade or any of the daft things.

Unfortunately there are some people, even Gas Registered, who don't have much of a clue out there doing jobs.

Probably some of those who left school to do an apprenticeship instead of doing "A" levels and going to university.

But a DIYer should not be opening a room sealed boiler to look inside. So we should not be giving you DIY advice here as it is against the rules.

Since you say that the boiler is providing heating and hot water as expected according to the times you set, then I suggest you take the view that it is all installed as required.

Tony

Thanks I didn't open a room sealed boiler

There is a junction box with the timer that all the wires go into and it is that cover I removed to check

As you say if Advice can't be offered I can ask the guy to come back

View attachment 117157

In reality my ecotec 637 doesn't have a separate pump but has a earth, brown live, blue neutral, a black and grey wire coming from it - there is not a separate pump with earth live and neutral wires as per the diagram

So The plumber has connected the earth, brown live and blue neutral wires to same terminal as the earth live and neutral from the mains supply and timer and the grey wire from the boiler goes to the terminal 10 which is connected to the zone valves

Also is there a reason why the black wire from the boiler wire is not used ?

I am not so sure how you can know what connections are in the boiler without opening it.

You did not mention a wiring centre! If you post a photo then some on here might be willing to make comments on it for you.

I will not, because, on principle, I don't advise on wiring where mistakes can damage equipment and even kill people. Furthermore, in your case you have wires coming out of the boiler and you don't know how they are connected inside.

But some others are less concerned about safety and might give you some advice depending on what your photo may show.

When everything is working fine I don't see what you can call the installer back for.

Tony

Unfortunately there are some people, even Gas Registered, who don't have much of a clue out there doing jobs.

Tony I hope you are not talking about a certain chap who lives in Kilburn :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back