Vaillant Ecotec 831 - Pressure keeping going high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler installed in 2006....no problem till date...for last one week the pressure keeps constantly increasing. If I do not bleed the radiator, the pressure crosses the red level in about 7-8 hours. I am bleeding the radiators almost 3 times to bring the pressure ot .5 or .6 before it starts to increase.

I need some guidance and help.

My sister arrives in 1 week and I need it fixed before I get admitted in the hospital.

Sponsored Links
Does it happen during heating or at standstill?

Filling loop letting by or plate heat exchanger got pinhole in it letting main water into heating circuit.

Need a rgi boiler engineer.

Dan

It's worth undoing the screws on the handles and checking the orientation of the brass tap underneath to make sure it's turned off

Sponsored Links
Both the filling levers are closed..and I have checked..by oppening and closing that they work...

I have not touched the brass tap underneath...as I cannot see one...

is there something else that I can check?

Is there an old filling loop somewhere on your pipework serving the previous boiler.

A long shot but best to check.

thanks Dan.....the water pressure keeps increasing..during heating and non heating times...while heating...the increase is faster..and when not heating..it is bit slower..though I have not monitored this...but I will have to check this

My heating is on 24 hours and I am needing to bleed it every7 to 8 hours

if i take the insurance now...it does not cover the fix......what is the best way..I understand that i would need a corgi/ gas safe consultant to fix the issue...but what expense am I looking at? and whom to call....

vaillant is asking 280 to come and see and will not cover heat exchange or expansion vessel...so if the oproblem is there..then I do not think i need vaillant to come and do..but someone else....kindly guide...and help

Both the filling levers are closed..and I have checked..by oppening and closing that they work...

I have not touched the brass tap underneath...as I cannot see one...

is there something else that I can check?

Sometimes the taps round off and do not close the taps properly.

Get a Phillips screwdriver and take the two grey taps off and look at the orientation of the bras nib/tap underneath to make sure that they are turning off completely

If you turn the boil off and close the two isolation valves to the flow and return With an Allen key ( furthest left and right brass taps) see if the pressure still rises.

You could also disconnect the filling loop.

If it still rises on the gauge you know the problem is with the boil, if it doesn't it will be the filling loop or anothe loop on your system

I will give it a shot now and see what happens...will come back with a reply either ways

Hi Terry...and many thanks...I think your trick has worked...though not sure at the moment.

All I did was ...use the screwdriver to take the two grey taps off . Used a wrench to tighten the bras nib/tap. Atleast the rise now is not so significantly high in the last 20 min...but I guess watching ovbernight will be a good test. I defintely will be back here tomorrow morning to post the final results...

tightening the brass nib/tap has worked well..the pressure no longer goes to the red zone and is sticking the needle within the grey zone.

I also spoke to Mark..one of the ex- Valliant engineers and he also mentioned that both these knobs tend to become loose and need tightening.

The problem is solved...though a lesson for me...to now go ahead and take the insurance for boiler.......

key question to some of the experts here...does one need to get the boiler serviced...mine has not been touched for last 6 years....what parts are cleaned/ lubricated or do they simply check in servicing and not do anything??....what i am trying to understand is that...are there any mechanical parts that need care..if not ...then in electrical parts what contribution does servicing do?..should I look at insurance with service (173 pounds) or insurance only (90 pounds)...your guidance would be much appreciated.

A simple thanks will do!

You should get your boiler serviced, they will check that it's burning and operating correctly and also may spot any potential problems.

I would get an independent engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back