Vaillant ecotec plus 418. Many problems.

Eric, would I be correct in saying the erroneous control wiring was carried out by someone other than HA heating engineer?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am glad that it took about two hours.

That what I was expecting would have been the maximum time it would have taken me had I come to help out.

But it was never going to be economical if I had to charge for the 30 miles return journey to you.

I was always sure that somewhere in Brum there would be someone could do it.

Pity the Contractors done seem to be able to employ anyone who can do it though.

Did you gather who his guy was?

Tony

That what I was expecting would have been the maximum time it would have taken me had I come to help out.
You didn't have a clue what the fault was so how could you of estimated a time for repairs? (excluding diagnosis).

DP / Agile The old system was removed and the new one installed by Npower on contract to the HA, they do the servicing etc also.
This changes every few years.

2 guys came and swapped the boiler and another guy came to wire it up.

The guy that fixed it was also in an Npower van. Not someone that had been here before though.
I dont think the guy that told me he had been doing it for xx years and knew more than me when i
tried to explain all the issues had the balls to come back.

Valve was faulty because part of the tab was broken? The same bit that was broken 18 years ago before we moved in?

I was mistaken about it being fitted in Sept/Oct though. It was fitted in JULY last year.. initial call outs were because the
pump would run for many hours even though only the hot water was on no heating.

This took a few visits, changing the valve, the temp sensor in the tank and then a couple for the wiring. Then late September
i tried the heating before the winter started and it didnt play ball with the water. Only one of the other worked.

So 7 months.... the issue now is im paranoid about it :) It was on for 2 hours non stop tonight. Should it be on for that
long i was thinking, then i started getting warm but everyone else said it was a comfortable temp. Got the thermometer
out and it showed 20 - 22 degrees and did not get any hotter than that, then as it got to around 2 hours it went quiet for quite
a while. So i guess its all good?

Sitting here at 9:23pm with the timer set for on until 10:30 pm and its lovely and quiet and warm but not stiflingly so.

I think the advantage to him was he may have been booked to stay until it was sorted so no rush to try any quick fix and
shoot off. Seems he told the wife that he will be here until its working. If he had said that to me i would have started
setting up a tent and a bed for him :)

Naughty of me but i didnt even get his name... i did thank him a lot though...

And thanks for letting me whinge and bend your ears a bit :)

Sponsored Links
Jesus wizard , agile is a clueless ****, I'm sure the mods will kick me again, but how can this pompous **** stay in the forum, he's inexperience and the most thick skinned person I've ever heard,,, as said he had no idea and if he had attended (which he wouldn't as he would have been found out) he wouldn't have fixed it...

He doesn't stop Bunny , thick skinned being an understatement , it gets embarrassing to say the least...
Agile is pulled up time and time again yet he still carries on with his holier than thou nonsense...
As my ole man used to tell me "lad , self praise is no praise"..
It beggers belief it really does , agile obviously feels insecure of himself , no other true professional would act in this manner.

Last edited:
Eric, final question, were the guys from HA to blame or the contractors.

You didn't have a clue what the fault was so how could you of estimated a time for repairs? (excluding diagnosis).

Quite so.

But I did know that if I could not identify the exact fault in say 25 minutes then I would have plenty of time to completely rewire it in a further say 30 minutes and leave a little time available to properly test it and hopefully drink a nice cup of coffee.

Of course its easy to fault find when all the items are in the same location but we already know that they are not in this case.

Surely you remember that my background is in electronics.

Tony

Electronics have very little in common with central heating controls and associated wiring.
Controls cables may have required replacing due to not enough cores, pipework may have required altering to enable system to operate correctly.....

Taking the above into account are you still of the opinion a time frame of no more than 2 hours would have effected a permanent repair.
Who are you trying to kid Tony?

Well since the person who attended managed to rewire it within two hours then that satisfies me that that is how long it would have taken me.

Tony

That what I was EXPECTING would have been the maximum time it would have taken me had I come to help out.

Tony
So you were expecting to spend no more than two hours before knowing the fault?

DP, Only NPower were at fault 100% of it..
They did everything. The HA employ them for installation and servicing etc.

2 Guys installed the boiler doing the piping etc, another guy came to wire it up (All from Npower)

Initially because we only had the hot water on and no heating the initial complaint was that the
pump ran all the time.

The bigger problem of not having heat and water, only came about when i tested it before the
winter set in.

Its been a long nightmare, so long i thought the boiler was fitted in Sept/Oct when it was actually
fitted in July.

Then they suggest the fix is not to have the timer set? I wonder if they want to get up at 5am during the
winter with no heating and wondering if you have enough hot water?

Im going to start another rant , i better end now :)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
HAs that it surprises me that DP has such a high opinion of their engineers.

Agile, record is getting well worn.
As said NOT EVERY HA INSTALLER IS ALL KNUCKLES AND THUMBS
You claim to be a top heating engineer but you also make some blunders which you fail to acknowledge.
Stop judging other people and start looking at yourself

At least I acknowledge where someone is more able than me!

Tony, it transpires HA guys were NOT involved. Care to say something? Guess not as you have been proven wrong often ( remember bending flattened gas pipes behind soil pipe, pilot in a WB240) but do not have grace to accept you are wrong.:cautious:

Eric, someone who throws combis on the wall day in day out, only uses one boiler make and model is going to have difficulty deviating from well worn track. Put into mix controls that plug into boiler face plate, installer can be a trained monkey fitting a combi boiler

On the other hand a heat only boiler needs external controls. Whoever is doing the wiring, needs to refer to boiler manual else things go haywire:LOL:

Glad problem now sorted

The puzzling thing is this is a big estate so they must have fitted several hundred identical systems before they
got to us.

How could they have got ours so wrong and not have a clue what they did wrong?

Scared to touch any of the controls now :)

Most of it was probably the first guy who would not listen to all the faults, blaming the
fact it didnt shut off on the temperature sensor, what about the other faults? he was not
interested and knew more than me, but it seems not enough to fix it.

Problem continued so they changed the valve its broken he said, nope only the little telltale that is
broken and had been for 18 years. Replacing that didnt fix it either and why is that
damn pump switching on at 3am when the system should be off???

I think they had to fix it because they had run out of excuses for it not working properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back