Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 / vSmart and McDonald Thermal Store wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking for some pointers to check everything is being installed correctly by my heating engineer.

I am having a ecoTEC plus 428 boiler installed along with the vSmart Controls including the VR66 wiring centre. This is replacing a failed Ideal Icos boiler, Boss Therm wireless stat and an ACL Lifestyle wiring centre. I will be keeping my Mcdonald Open Vented THERMflow Thermal Storage System in place: http://www.mcdonald-engineers.com/products/thermal-store.

This will be the first time my heating engineer has installed the vSmart and VR66 setup so I am looking for some pointers to help us both.

My boiler will be installed in the garage and the Thermal Store is currently in place in the upstairs airing cupboard.

It is planned to install the VR66 in the airing cupboard alongside the thermal store. As far as I understand the vSmart Gateway will also be installed here and will be connected to the 24V Bus connection on the VR66. A further 2 core cable will run from this Bus connection point to the Bus connection on the boiler. The existing cylinder thermostat will be wired into the NTC point on the VR66.

What I am unsure about is how the two pumps should be wired in, can these be connected to the VR66? A Grundfos UPS 25-60 130 and Grundfos UP 15-60 A0 are currently installed and wired in to the existing ACL wiring centre for the central heating and boiler flow.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
It won't work! A thermal store requires high primary water temperatures VSMART modulates the flow temperature dependant on load.

Hi Guessman,

Thanks for the reply. What controls would work? Preferably a wireless setup.

So there would be no way round this to make the vSmart work? I had been looking to get a smart/wifi setup

Drayton MyGenie or nest or Hive would all be able to replace your existing room stat and give internet control, just wire into your existing wiring. If you need wireless go for the Honeywell Y87 with wireless gateway RFG100

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply. If the VSMART isn't going to work I think I will end up sticking with the existing wiring / stat setup to allow me to get heating back up and running and then look more into the best Internet controlled stat for my setup.

One part of the old setup that I am not sure if it will be required with the EcoTEC Is the Drayton PTS1 Pipe Thermostat that is in place at the boiler. I am not sure whether this would have been used to provide two stage frost protection alongside the RTS3 Air Frost Thermostat that is also in place, or if it would have been used to set a high/low limit?

If for frost protection I obviously wouldn't need it as the EcoTEC has built in two stage frost protection.

This was set just above 40.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back