Vaillant Ecotec plus 612 S30 status NO HOT WATER SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
As mentioned in the title my Vaillant Ecotec have s30 status displayed resulting in no hot water . Heating works Ok .

S30 status - no call from external control's.

That problem started after few power cuts in short period of time.

I'm using immersion heater at the moment.

My setup is as follows:

Ecotec plus 612
Honeywell sc9400c programmer
Honeywell wall dial thermostat
Unvented megaflow cylinder
Everything wired as 2x2 S plan heating

Checks I've done so far:
1. Put a bridge on 3 and 4 pin - s30 displayed

2.Replace programmer - s30 displayed

3. Check 2 port valve :
When I push lever I can feel resistance. When flipped to manual position pump still not engaged however when I pressed microswitch inside two port valve boiler (pump) started working but as soon as I stopped pressin microswitch pump stopped working and was s30 displayed.

It looks like two port valve is not energised when I checked all wires
Brown,grey,orange have 240v

3. Water cylinder thermostat is ok . Resistance 20 ohm.
I've tried reset button but no luck .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_095140.jpg
    IMG_20230302_095140.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20230302_075351.jpg
    IMG_20230302_075351.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20230301_194436.jpg
    IMG_20230301_194436.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Even with a healthy end switch, opening the valve manually will not close the end switch.
With 2 port deenergised, you should only get 240v between grey& neutral, with 2 port energised (via programmer&cylinderstat) you should get 240V between brown&blue (which should open the valve) and you should then get 240V between orange&neutral, the manual lever will feel loose if the valve has actually opened.

Attachments

• S Plan Wiring.gif
    S Plan Wiring.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 123
3. Water cylinder thermostat is ok . Resistance 20 ohm.
I've tried reset button but no luck .

That should be clicking, as the setting is turned up and down - does it?

S30 means there is no call for heat to the boiler. The above stat controls the 2 port valve, then the 2 port, once it has moved to open, calls for heat from the boiler. That suggests either the stat isn't closing, the valve actuator motor has failed, or there is a wiring issue.

Thanks for that. When I come back home I will check again what readings I'm getting.

So if I'm reading 240v on all wires from two port valve is that valve kaput ?

Sponsored Links
That should be clicking, as the setting is turned up and down - does it?

S30 means there is no call for heat to the boiler. The above stat controls the 2 port valve, then the 2 port, once it has moved to open, calls for heat from the boiler. That suggests either the stat isn't closing, the valve actuator motor has failed, or there is a wiring issue.
It did click.
Wiring must be OK beacuse everything was working fine before and nothing was done to wiring plus it's a 10 year old house so I'm guessing cables are in good condition.

Thanks for that. When I come back home I will check again what readings I'm getting.

If everything OK then 240V between brown&blue, grey&blue and orange&blue, (0 volts between grey&orange).

Not exactly....

Assuming it has been wired exactly as per the S plan diagram above, set the HW to on, the cylinder stat to max (with the water inside cool). Then connect one probe of your meter to terminal 2 which is neutral, of the 10 way terminal block... That becomes your reference point, for all of your measurements.

Then in turn check terminals 6, then 8 both should show 240v - report back if they do not.

If they test out OK, that valve actuator motor, should be under power and attempting to open the valve.. If not, then the motor has failed..

Just come back home and this are the results of my test:

brown&blue, 240v
grey&blue 240v
orange&blue 13v
grey&orange is 210v

went ahead and replaced two port valve and we have Hot water back again !!!

So to summarize Vaillant Ecotec plus 612 displaying S30 status resulting in no hot water , heating working ok.

Replaced faulty two port valve sorted the problem.

Thanks again for help .
I really appreciate that especially nowadays when every peeny counts .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back