Vaillant ecoTec Plus 637

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Smashing site, I'm hoping one of you experienced folk might be able to point me in the right direction. I've recently had a Vaillant ecoTec Plus 637 boiler installed and prior to the gas engineer signing it off he has to connect the gas, do his safety checks, fill in the log book etc.

In my wisdom I said I'd do the electrics as I thought they'd be pretty straight forward and I'd like to think I'm ok at that sort of stuff - was I wrong!. I've got an S plan system, separate motorised valves for the heat and water (a vented cylinder). My previous boiler did not have a pump incorporated and I was not aware of the difference until I'd purchased the boiler.

Anyway, if anyone could give me a little advice I'd be really grateful. I'm happy to post more details if required. Apologies if this should have been posted in the electrics forum but assumed it was more heating related.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone.

Smashing site, I'm hoping one of you experienced folk might be able to point me in the right direction. I've recently had a Vaillant ecoTec Plus 637 boiler installed and prior to the gas engineer signing it off he has to connect the gas, do his safety checks, fill in the log book etc.

In my wisdom I said I'd do the electrics as I thought they'd be pretty straight forward and I'd like to think I'm ok at that sort of stuff - was I wrong!. I've got an S plan system, separate motorised valves for the heat and water (a vented cylinder). My previous boiler did not have a pump incorporated and I was not aware of the difference until I'd purchased the boiler.

Anyway, if anyone could give me a little advice I'd be really grateful. I'm happy to post more details if required. Apologies if this should have been posted in the electrics forum but assumed it was more heating related.

Mark

What's the issue? I'm assuming you mean a switch live to the boiler?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, maybe I'm over complicating the issue.

The boiler has it's live, neutral and earth connections which are obviously simple enough, what's somehow confusing me is what I have to wire to engage the boiler (and intergrated pump) when there is a demand, so yes I suppose it'd be a switched live!

I'm assuming the switched live is the orange from the motorised valves?

Sponsored Links
Bugger, am I right in thinking that the switched live from the motorised valves in the wiring box should simply just be connected to the RT terminal on the PCB and then remove the link connection? I'm hoping it's that easy!

I'm assuming the switched live is the orange from the motorised valves?

Pretty much. The PCB on the new boiler controls pump over-run, anti seize etc if wired back to it's input. A 5 core cable is normally used, run from junction box. External controls such as your 2 valves are wired into the switch live bringing on boiler and pump.

Makes me think that the boiler was not really installed by a gas registered engineer ( RGI ).

Worries me that now an RGI seems to be going to be "signing off " and installation by someone who is not registered.

For those who don't know, the minimum an RGI is meant to do is to:-

Fit wall bracket to wall.

Assemble and connect flue to boiler.

Connect and test gas supply to boiler.

Commission and complete Benchmark Certificate.

Notify Building Control. ( Usually via Gas Safe. )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back