vaillant ecotec plus 831 pressure query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my vaillant ecotec plus 831 was installed in oct 07 and has been serviced annually by the gas safe engineer who installed it. i have had no trouble at all with it until now; it has just had a repair by a vaillant engineer as part of my homeserve insurance policy which has left me with a concern.
From day 1 the pressure gauge has always sat at the bottom of the grey (normal) area when cold and has increased just a small amount when hot. I have never until now measured it digitally as was unaware until informed by the vaillant engineer that pressing the - button provides a digital reading. The cause of the engineers visit was my noticing that the pressure gauge was reading up in the red zone. The following was noted; when cold the gauge read at lower end of the normal range; when working it rapidly climbed up into the red area. To stop it going into the red area I reduced the water temperature to 65 degrees which kept it just short of the red area. Research on the internet indicated a likely problem with expansion vessel pressure. The vaillant engineer confirmed that to be so on checking the expansion vessel and finding its pressure to be virtually zero. He re-pressurised it, replaced the pressure relief valve, carried out various checks and pronounced it fully serviceable after setting water temperature back to 75 degrees which is where I have always had it. It works fine but the pressure gauge when cold reads much higher than it used to at about 10 o' clock as you look at it and reads 1.5 bar when pressing the - button. When hot it reads at 12 o'clock as you look at it (just short of the red area) and 2.1 bar when pressing the - button. I would appreciate some guidance as to whether this is ok as it has never read this high in the past.

Sponsored Links
I suspect you've just not monitored it as closely before, and you're now noticing something that has always happened.

You should be more converted that the guy who was doing your servicing has apparently not been checking the expansion vessel himself - it is a part of the service schedule

Thank you for the reassurance and yes the point about the lack of servicing of the expansion vessel had occurred and will be addressed. Would it be a good idea to drain some water out so as to drop the pressure down to e.g 1 bar rather than 1.5 when cold?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back