Vaillant ecotech plus 824 boiler topping up advice confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always topped up this boiler while the heating is on and going by the dial gage. I top it up to just a bit over half way of the gray area in the gage avoiding the red area.

What I'm concerned about is a plumber has told me he thinks the dial gage must be showing the wrong reading and is most likely faulty because the button you press to the left of the boiler where it says 1.3 bar or 1.8 bar etc sends the dial gage well into the red area when its on 2.0 bar. He said it should be on 2.0 bar but I seem to remember from somewhere that it shouldnt go up that high on the bar reading.

I'm a bit worried to see it in the red area though and just having to assume that the dial gage is faulty, what if its the bar gage thats faulty instead or nothing is faulty. It does eventually drop down into the gray area after topping up to 2.0 bar but I'm concerned that doing this will cause damage being topped up into the red area.

How do I know whats right and can these dial gages go faulty easily, is it common? I think he is a good engineer because he is employed for the schools, one of the teachers sent him to me.

Hes coming back to fit me a filter and possibly something else to do with the overfill pipe leaking outside but he wanted to leave it untill he was sure it really needed doing as it might just have been water left in the pipe after he unblocked it as apparently it has been sealed with cement since it was fitted. No wonder I have had problems with it ever since it was installed. When he unblocked it water gushed out but then slowed to a drop. A new prv or pvr valve was fitted last year by other plumbers and they didnt find the cement problem

Sponsored Links
A cold standing pressure of between 1 - 1.5 bar is fine for a standard 2 storey building. I would advise filling systems when cold. Asuming the expansion vessel is appropriately sized, and pressurised the pressure should stay well below the 3bar limit that the prv will likly be set at. Pressure gauges can become faulty. If the pressure approaches 3 bar the prv will release some water and allow the pressure to drop. It should be obvious to the plumber if the gauge is faulty. When he filled the system after changing the prv he probably filled it to 3 bar to test the prv then dropped it to 1 - 1.5. If its still passing water the vessel is likely buggered. If you have to keep on topping it up this is a possibility..

Thankyou,

The boiler went off today showing error 75 so I topped it up again. It took about 10 days to do that.

This recent plumber 10 days ago only serviced the boiler and ordered a new filter and also found the cemented outlet pipe outside. It was the plumber last year that changed the prv valve.

Would a service include repressurizing the expansion vessel? as I'm wondering if this needs doing. should I ask the plumber to repressurize it?

What is a pressure gauge is it the dial or the digital numbers at the left hand side that states the 1.4bar ect?

Is there any way I can empty some water if I do go over by accident? I topped it up when cold to 1.4bar and then put the heating on and it read 2.7bar and was well into the red area of the dial

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back