Vaillant Multipoint Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
This is a long shot as this appliance probably does not exist in UK. I am staying at a house in Austria that has a 3 phase, 21 kW electric water heater, Vaillant model VED 21 H/6. I think the problem is with the flow sensing mechanism. The appliance feeds the shower mixer, kitchen sink and bathroom wash basin. With the filter fitted to the wash basin mixer the flow is not enough to activate the appliance so it always runs cold. With the filer removed it works OK. The shower is very sensitive to lever position, it tends to go from too hot straight to stone cold. Even at a constant lever position the heater sometimes shuts off for a few seconds and the water goes cold. I can find some technical info. online for this heater but only on PDF and only in German. I mainly wanted to know if there is any adjustment for the sensitivity of the flow switch?

Sponsored Links
Reading what you have said the problem seems to be a blocked filter.

The industry standard for water heaters and combi boilers is for them to be turned on with a flow rate of about 2.5 litres per minute.

I have seen Vaillant gas water heaters but not any electric ones. I am not sure about Vaillant, but in many cases with small volume selling appliances, another maker's unit is rebadged.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I checked the wash basin tap and it is flowing about 3 litres a minute with the filter fitted. Looking at the plumbing inside the heater it looks to be about 12mm copper and where it goes onto the cold feed coming out of the wall the pipe looks to be a bit deformed so I'm wondering if that is restricting the flow. I'm not sure if improving the flow at that point would help with the shower problem though. I don't really know how these single lever shower mixers work. As you move the lever from left to right is it turning the hot off as well as turning the cold on or staying at full flow of hot right up to the central position? This would mean you have full flow of hot and cold when central. I suppose even if it does work that way the cold side would be robbing the hot of flow so it could take it down below the point needed to activate the flow switch.

The german manual isn't much cop. It states that you need minimum 3 litres/min flow rate, points you to the inlet filter or to decalcifying if that can't be acheived. "Spare parts see wholesaler."

Sponsored Links
You are there, I am not.

You tell me the flow rate at the tap with the filter on it.

But what is it without the filter???

What does the heater do with the 3 li and what dos it do with the ??? li without the filter?

Can you clean the filter?

Tony

With the filter removed the flow is about 6 litres a minute. I have tried to photograph the deformed inlet pipe and the tap filter but they were probably a bit too close for the flash so they are not too clear. I think you can get new filters but personally I would leave it out and just put the chrome bezel back on. I suppose it would be worth descaling the shower head as it is a hard water area.

multipoint1_zpsgmrfbvef.jpg
basinfilter_zps4pjkb8ww.jpg

So if you remove the restrictive filter what issues do you have?

Can you not clean the filter?

Tony

So if you remove the restrictive filter what issues do you have?

Can you not clean the filter?

It looks more like a flow restrictor to me. But obviously not needed to do that in your case.

Tony

Mention of the wash basin tap behaviour was just for information, it is the lack of proper control over the shower that is the problem. I have heard mention of low flow shower heads but when I asked about them in plumbers merchants they did not seem aware of the existance of such fittings. Although this property in Austria is not mine I would buy such a shower head to try it, as it would be useful to me for my place in Croatia. I have a gravity feed hot water system there and despite all the plumbing being done in new 22 mm pipe, the flow from the shower head is a mere trickle.

When I mention low flow shower heads I mean ones designed for use in systems such as gravity applications which offer limited flow output, not the sort designed to conserve water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back