vaillant turbomax 242

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a vaillant turbomax 242

I believe its this one.

http://www.centralheating.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/5622/turbomax.pdf

This is what the control panel looks like (I found this on-line)

http://files.site-fusion.co.uk/webfusion36366/image/turbomax2421e.jpg

We have noticed that the water pressure is falling, almost on a daily basis and the red light is also coming on too.

Each time the water pressure falls I refill it to 1bar. I have checked all the radiators and they are heating up fine, I can't hear any unusual sounds.

I have noticed that some water is coming out the overflow pipe.

We have also noticed that the hot water does sometimes go up and down in temperature, like from hot water to luke warm, then hot again.

I cant source any leaks in the pipe work.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

I have a week off in December, when I will drain the whole system and refill it again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to drain and refill the system?

If you fill boiler to about one bar/one and a half bar, check all rads are vented ok, then turn the heating on, by the time the radiators are hot is the pressure up high ie around the 3 bar mark?

Going on what you have said the expansion vessel may be faulty, this can be anything from a simple refill of the vessel to having to fit a new one. The overflow is a saftey device which normaly will run when the pressure is high, if it has been damage by having overflowed a lot then it to might need replacing, being a saftey device in the boiler means unfortunetyl its not really a DIY job.

My advice would be to get a GS engineer to check it over and carry out any repairs, with some luck it could be as little as an hours visit with no parts.

You do have the option of plumbing in an external vessel to the system witch would take over from the faulty one in the boiler, this can be done as DIY, but you'll probably be cheaper and qucker getting a register engineer to have a look at it.

UPDATE.

Hi,

Since then, I have refilled the EV with air and the CH system seems to be holding pressure. although it does rise from 0.9bar t0 1.5bar. but doesn't go all the way upto 3bar.

However, when the CH is on and if the hot water is turned on, it kills the boiler. The red light comes on.

I have also noticed that the hot water is making the pressure go to 0 when it is on. The hot water heats up, goes cold, warm, cold, etc. until it turns off and goes to red.

when the boiler fires up, the ignition light does not stay lit when the hot water is turned on.

however, the heating is okay now. as long as I don't put the hot water on, the central heating will work no problem, with pressure rising from 0.9bar to 1.5bar and hold there.

any suggestions, other than call a GS engineer would be helpful.

Thanks.

ps. while I was away, my parents called in an engineer who said it needed a new EV, PRV and a new heat exchanger. He for some reason, reduced the Hot Water pressure, now the hot water pressure is low on tap. I've called him and he is not returning calls.

How can I get the hot water flow back up again?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back