Vaillant VCW - Main burner won't always fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We've got a very old Vaillant VCW GB 221 H Boiler that just keeps going and going. It's in good nick I'm told. I need it to keep going a bit longer.

We've got a problem with it as follows:
  • Pump(s) run
  • Pilot on
  • But the main burner only fires 50% of the time
  • Unplug it at the wall, leave it a while, and it'll work again for a few hours
  • Affects both heating and hot water
My trusted heating engineer (a good friend)is looking at this. Any ideas where we could start diagnosing? I understand the VC/VCW model is one of the most complicated.

All my Googling brings me back here, there are some knowledgeable folks on the board!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A proper service will most likely fix the problem
Post where you are and someone will respond

Tony Agile, out top engineer will no doubt offer some advice and will travel too

Cracking boiler, engineer needs to have knowledge of operating sequence or he will be stuffed the moment he stands in front of this boiler :)

Have training and papers and I have been head to head with this beastie. In fact I had one in my house which now resides in someone's garage to keep two on the wall healthy and functional

Last edited:
I only travel in London and Midlands.

Oddly only just done a repair on one of those.

However, I will not offer any advice here as it is a combustion/safety device problem which we are not meant to advise on.

If your engineer needs to learn anything about then the it is he who should be doing the looking and not you. We have a section of this site called the CC where registered people can ask for advice on any aspect of boilerts.

Tony

Sponsored Links
However, I will not offer any advice here as it is a combustion/safety device problem which we are not meant to advise on.

Tony
That's funny as you give advice on "gas matters" when it suits for you to boost your ego.
For you to say you won't be "giving any advice" is a sure sign that you yourself haven't a fookin clue..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

A proper service will most likely fix the problem

A service was the first thing we did, unfortunately it's got slightly worse rather than better o_O

Cracking boiler, engineer needs to have knowledge of operating sequence or he will be stuffed the moment he stands in front of this boiler :)

Finding a knowledgeable engineer might be the challenge! I've tried a few, but could hear the blank faces over the phone. I tried Vaillant direct too (they offer "arrange a service" via their website) and after the initial headache of a "service" and a "repair" being separate appointments in their system, they said they don't touch anything so old! AFAIK they still sell the parts?!

I only travel in London and Midlands. However, I will not offer any advice here as it is a combustion/safety device problem which we are not meant to advise on.

Okay, that's fair enough (y)

If your engineer needs to learn anything about then the it is he who should be doing the looking and not you. We have a section of this site called the CC where registered people can ask for advice on any aspect of boilers.

Thanks Agile, I'll suggest that to him.

Last edited:
I was quite surprised to find that many spares were still available although not all from the main suppliers.

Ended up buying six water section mounting brackets so now have five to sell on when I get round to it.

It is a slightly more complicated design than most but there are still some who can manage it.

You will just have to keep looking.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back