Vaillant VRT 360F to Nest Swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm in the processes of swapping my out my Vaillant VRT 360F to Nest.

Currently the Vaillant VRT controls my ecoTec 831 boiler over the eBus connection. When the Nest is installed, is it a just a case of unplugging the eBus connection from the boilers board? Nothing needs changing in the software menus on the boiler?

When connecting the Nest HeatLink module to the boilers 24v RT terminals do I use:

Option 1
Common (Pin 2 on the HeatLink) and Heating Relay Normally Closed (Pin 1 on the HeatLink)

Option 2
Common (Pin 2 on the HeatLink) and Heating Relay Normally Open (Pin 3 on the HeatLink)

Image attached of the pin options

I think option two as an open relay to me by default suggest the circuit is not complete so the boiler is off by default. I assume if I get it the wrong way around the boiler will either not fire up or do the inverse of what is being asked by the thermostat.

For completeness, the Heatlink will be wired to the boiler via a 5 core cable, so when the fuse spur for the boiler is turned off, the Heatlink will also be dead and safe too.

Secondly, My boiler is booked in for a service next week so, once the HeatLink / Nest of is connected, the boiler will be serviced by a pro and then left alone.

Cheers. Thank in advance.

Attachments

• NestWiring.png
    NestWiring.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The work you describe requires the cover of your boiler to be removed, and this should only be done by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer as it forms the safety room seal of the boiler, and certain checks need to be carried out on completion. As you've got someone coming out to service the boiler, why not ask them to fit your Nest at the same time? They can then carry out the required checks on completion.

Disturbing the room seal constitutes gas safety related work, and advising on that is prohibited here by forum rules

The work you describe requires the cover of your boiler to be removed, and this should only be done by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer as it forms the safety room seal of the boiler, and certain checks need to be carried out on completion. As you've got someone coming out to service the boiler, why not ask them to fit your Nest at the same time? They can then carry out the required checks on completion.

Disturbing the room seal constitutes gas safety related work, and advising on that is prohibited here by forum rules

I take your point on board but, if that is the case, why are there new and old threads about similar topics with replies?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back