VALLIANT VS THE REST + DO I BUY THE BOILER MYSELF?

Don't be fooled by BG. Rolls Royce :eek: Normally with them the only one who gets that is their salesman. Customers get a Reliant Robin :rolleyes:

LOL!

Possibly. To be honest, I know friends of mine who signed up for a BG service scheme and when push came to shove, the £30/month (or thereabouts) was for a plan which didn't cover the parts which were most likely to break! (Surprise, surprise...)

Only time I used them was when they were doing that one cost repair thing (don't know if they still do) when it was £95 regardless of what was wrong. They ended up putting in £300-worth of parts over an afternoon's labour. After that they black-listed my boiler. I won! ;)

Sponsored Links
HI,

You seem to of rufled some feathers, but reading your post that was certainly not your intention.

Yes as previously said it is always best for the engineeer to qoute for supply and fit as any problems relay back to him. A proffesional should be offering a power flush if connecting to an existing system an upgrade of old valves and maybe some form of extended warranty. Of course all this does not come for the price of a pint but at the same time shouldn't cost a re-mortgage.

Vailant is a high spec boiler, but there are a few choice options to go along with it such as a Glow worm a Wolf or a Worcester all of which carry a two year warranty with an optional five year avaiable at a very reasonable cost when comparing to a BG five star contract.

good plumbers never advertise its always word of mouth ask a friend to recomend. best advice i can give is dont buy your own boiler let them and as long as it is installed by the rules and registerd u should be fine.average price for conversion and supply modern good combi is around 1400 to 1700

Don't under any circumstance consider a Vokera at this moment in time.

Maybe next year but not now.

Sponsored Links
pinkypants

This is what i am doing this week:

i am installing a new valiant combi which i have bought myself - getting the best price.

the engineer is happy for me to do this but if it breaks down in a weeks time i will be calling vailant not him. it is unlikley to be his fault.

my system is older and will need a full power clean. this will be done before the boiler is replaced.

i am paying the engineer £180 a day. i will be working with him doing all the donkey work (bleeding rads etc). we will be changing a few rads around, plus the power clean and then the new boiler and you come to 2 1/2 - 3 days work. my boiler cost £1040 plus i have bought a magnaclean (£63) which helps keep the system clean of metal deposits.

so i will be paying approx £1800 inc odd fittings to have my boiler changed. he is not charging me a fee to use the power cleaning equip. by the way.

hope this helps.

£1800 is a good price, and £180 a day is also, as for bleeding rads being the donkey work, i take it you work in an office . :LOL:

plus i have bought a magnaclean (£63)

Where did you get a Magnaclean for that price, out of interest ?

Clearly not a plumbing merchants!

Thats the problem! A few people sell these things on Ebay when stolen from their employers and the public think thats the going price.

The reality is that the professional has to pay about £80 + inc vat to get them. If all the professionals bought them on Ebay the price would be over £100 !

We have to buy them from a sustainable source!

Tony

magnaclean bought on ebay. plumb centre guy said small guys can sell a lot cheaper than they can via ebay. dont think they are stolen because the guys are selling quite a few of them.

i work from home and am renovating my house at moment. electrician happy for me to work with him as is plumber. i can plumb rads, baths, showers etc. just not do the complicated work. i rent out houses so am a small time prop guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back