Value of copper and how do i clean it up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a large collection of copper wire witch i have striped the pvc coating off, some are nice and bright and some are a dark black dirty colour, is ther any chemical i can leave the copper to soak in to make it bright like the other copper?

Also i keep hearing that the price of copper isnt that high at the moment i got quoted 3.50 from a few places today am i best off waiting to see if the price will go up or am i just wasting my time?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I have a large collection of copper wire witch i have striped the pvc coating off, some are nice and bright and some are a dark black dirty colour, is ther any chemical i can leave the copper to soak in to make it bright like the other copper?

Also i keep hearing that the price of copper isnt that high at the moment i got quoted 3.50 from a few places today am i best off waiting to see if the price will go up or am i just wasting my time?

Cheers.

If selling for scrap, the buyer will not care about the colour.

Sponsored Links
Just put it all back and allow the railways to be on time.

The burnt bits are where you shorted it cutting it away. How are the hands healing?

Just put it all back and allow the railways to be on time.

The burnt bits are where you shorted it cutting it away. How are the hands healing?

You always get at least one chump!

As a rough punt I would say Cola perhaps?!

It brings two penny pieces up like new but then I do not know what they are made of!

As a rough punt I would say Cola perhaps?!

It brings two penny pieces up like new but then I do not know what they are made of!
Cola contains Phosphoric acid, and will as you say clean copper, as will a weak solution of battery acid.

Wotan

Hi Paddy :D I was working at this place and there was a steel safe that we had to move on chopped up scaff bars. It took us a full day to move it so the plasteres could plaster. I think it was nearly 2.000 kg

Is it really worth all the faff and cost to clean it up?
Just seperate it into different bags and take it in as bright and no 2 for goodness sakes :rolleyes:

Hi Paddy :D I was working at this place and there was a steel safe that we had to move on chopped up scaff bars. It took us a full day to move it so the plasteres could plaster. I think it was nearly 2.000 kg

Half decent safe then......................I say "half" as it was not attached to the fabric of the building it was in.

What about Brass any re-sale value, not that I am going to nick it, atleast not on my own.

We built a confessional in a church recently and God asked us to move this Brass box from upstairs to downstairs, took four blokes to pick it up and then we had to get a sack barrow as none of us could walk with it. Solid Brass I tell ya, it has some religous function which I cant remember.

Bye the way, the confessional was built from solid oak throughout, oak floor, oak walls, oak roof, oak doors, oak seats, oak tables a bit overbearing I thought.

Which reminders me, we also built a solid oak box in another church to house a toilet for wheel chair users and one for none wheel chair users, for good measure they had a solid handmade oak kitchen put onto the side of the oak bog so you could make to tea whilst listening to God taking a dump, Nice.

I don't think they need the brass so just steal it and you might even be doing them a favour.

Sponsored Links
Back