Bending PVC coated copper coil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody suggest the best method for bending 15mm PVC coated copper coil?

My mate is connecting some pipe work up for me, but to keep costs down I'm running it through the joists beforehand. Problem is, he's gone on holiday and I need to get the pipework in this week.....

The pipe is going through a lowered ceiling/a few joists, hence no joints in the void.

I've heard that this type of coiled pipe is pretty flexible (it's being collected tomorrow) but will it bend by hand without collapsing the pipe wall, or should I use a pipe bender, will PVC coated 15mm even fit in a pipe bender? I've got 15mm and 22mm guides....

Thanks in advance,

MrB

Sponsored Links
you can bend it by hand long radius bends mind :idea: feed it through from the coil in one go if poss

you can get guides and formers to pull bends in it but they cost ;)

and tape the end up before you start :idea:

Or you can slide a bending spring in the pipe tied to a very strong piece of string.

What happens then is, you mark the string, and measure as you pull it out so you know it's in the right place for the next bend.

Much easier to bend it gently by hand though.

Sponsored Links
A DaftyDIY'er need to be competent to run gas pipes, have their ACS etc.

It's like jurassic park in here....all the old dinosaurs on one thread. :LOL: :LOL:

Hi dick.

It's actually a good point, although the OP doesn't mention Gas.

Why would he need to wait for his mate to connect it, but more importantly whats going on the end of it, assuming it was gas, not a lot would be the answer.

Yep, 3.3kw gas fire going in, as for the sizing, I'm just running what he told me, I'm sure he would have sized it properly, maybe using something like http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/lite...ion-Tips/Domestic-gas-planning-and-sizing.pdf Considering he's been fitting for 35 years (Corgi and Gas Safe), it might be guesswork on the sizing though ;)

We've worked together on and off enough over the years that he know's I'm more than caphable of running the pipework!! I've got a manometer from about 10 or 15 years ago, but I'm not connecting for 2 reasons:-

1. No, I'm not certified and....

2. It's going into an new extension and I'm sure building control will want to see the gassafe certificate......

MrB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back