valve weeping problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having a go at balancing my heating system, to try and sort a cold radiator (cold at the bottom), I did improve things but alas as sort of expected some of the valves are weeping on a couple of radiators elswere in the house.....they appear to be weeping from the adjustment part rather than the connection to the pipe itself.....The valves themselves are these nasty old ones that need a system drain down every time we need to take a radiator of a wall for decorating.....My question to you experts is, Is there any adjustment on these things to tighten them up a little, to stop them weeping (without draining the system).....the pic is of a bone dry one im afraid. on the leaking ones if i remove the knob the water is seeping from where the tap seats into the casing of the valve...
rad1_zps629bb0be.jpg

Sponsored Links
Undo the small retaining screw and remove the plastic wheelhead, and see if there's a hexagonal gland nut around the valve shaft.

If there is, try tightening it down a little to compress the gland packing against the shaft.

If that has no effect, undo the nut, and add a bit of soft packing to the valve gland.

A bit of PTFE tape twisted into a cord makes good valve packing, as does waxed string (eg a piece of a candle wick). I have even heard of bacon rind being used for gland packing!

Wind some packing around the spindle and use the nut to push it down into the gland.

You should be able to find a happy medium of adjustment giving free movement of the valve stem and no leaks.

Some valves don't have adjustable glands. There's not much you can do to stop them leaking other than replace them.

yes you can tighten the gland nut, i am afraid that is the only good news for you.

these are twin entry valves and come with varying issues one being the dip tube seperating causing poor circulation and can be an issue with a poor heating radiator, good luck but a repipe will be imminent so start saving

GREAT INFO guys thanks in my haste lat night I didnt see the Gland nut, I thought it was part of the body of the valve..... :oops: . To be fair these radiators must be, what well over 30 years old, and at this moment (touching evrything wooden) they do get warm all over, its the newest 8 month old one thats cold at the bottom. but we do plan for a re-pipe with fresh radiators at some time in the near future.....Just to satisfy my curiosity do you chaps have any idea what the thinking was behind these twin entry valves compared to a single valve at each end which is much more sensible in my humble opinion :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Single valve entry, two pipes to one place. Cuts down on installation time less hassle for installer. That would be he biggest reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back