Varnishing Internal Pine Doors

S

sentinal73

Hi all

About to start varnishing some internal pine doors. Had a few questions i wanted help with

Can anyone recommend a brand of varnish, was thinking more along the lines of a Matt finish

Any hints or tips for me? Never done any varnishing before, so reading up as much as possible before i start

Should I lie the door horizontal to varnish it, or varnish it whilst its hung

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi, do you want to retain the natural colour of the door=clear varnish or give them a colour= stained varnish? Sikkens is my varnish of choice:cool: but sadolin do a nice few, could even try yacht varnish heard that works well.

I would do them hung otherwise you will knock and scratch your superb finish when you try to re-hang them. :oops: as for tips. Do not over brush them. De-nib with a very fine wire wool (0000) between coats and use a tack cloth. debris and bits are the killers here for a super smooth finish. :cry: go with the grain when applying it and read the tin for application instructions. Good luck ;)

De-nib with a very fine wire wool (0000) between coats and use a tack cloth. debris and bits are the killers here for a super smooth finish.

De-nid, you mean like a fine sanding?

Whats the tack cloth for? To remove dust and the like?

Thanks!

De-nib......when you run your hand over the varnished item you will feel some rough spots. They will be bits of dust hairs etc etc that have settled on the surface. Wire wool .....much less abrasive than sandpaper and will not leave embedded grit in the varnish. Tack cloth.....no amount of dusting off will get rid of everything and tack cloth will help as the particles will stick to the cloths sticky surface. ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers

I've read somewhere that you should dilute the first coat of varnish..is this true?

read the tin, some recommend it some dont. Personally I never thin it down ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back