Varnishing new plaster. Can anyone help??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a room newly plastered with plasterboard and a plaster skim.
I love the colour of the dried plaster and want to varnish one of the walls with a clear transparent sealer.
One possibility is to use PVA with the first coat being very diluted(50-50 water?) then gradually building up with more coats of pva. I assume that because pva is transluscent when dry that the more coats will give a greater depth to the finish. However I have read on some forums that pva shouldn't be used on new plaster as it is not breathable etc.
Another alternative would be to use a water based varnish and dilute that although this could end up costing a bit more!
Lastluy if I don't like the effect of the varnish/pva will I be able to repaint the wall with flat white emulsion.
Any help greatly appreciated.
thedavidnicholson.

Sponsored Links
Personally...Dont. it will change colour anyway to quite a darker shade of pink, may seal it too much so the wall cant breathe.......and basically look abit naff.

I love the colour of the dried plaster and want to varnish one of the walls with a clear transparent sealer.

:eek:

Your best bet would be to have an emulsion colour-matched to the new plaster and paint that on for a uniform finish.
Most decorator trade outlets do this if you can give them a sample of the colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back