Varnishing on 'veneered' chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some white shoe trays from IKEA that I want to make walnut to match the new wardrobe interior. I don't know exactly what they are but the are veneered/laminated I think. It's a smooth finish.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39011494/

What would be the best way to varnish/stain them? I'm assuming the varnish won't hold on that surface? Does it need sanding first? Or a coat of something applied to it? Never had to do anything like this so completely clueless. :confused:

In fact, will varnish even work on a white surface?

Thanks

Edit: I should add that it's not really going to be on show so it doesn't have to be a perfect finish. Also I thinking of carpeting the tray so it will only be the edges that need staining

Sponsored Links
Impossible am afraid, you would have to take away all of the powder coat, back to wood in order for it to look similar to your wardrobe using varnish, but then it's not decent wood under it all, it's fibreboard. Varnish is for bare wood.

The only thing you may get away with is to use paint, in the same sort of shade of brown as your wardrobe for it to blend in a little. You will need to get a decent primer and some good quality paint for the job. To be honest tho, it's a lot of work for something that's going to be covered in shoes and sits inside your wardrobe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back