Vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I have a Victorian house.. I've got a few issues with the ceiling in my bedroom so i was thinking of removing ceiling joist altogether and creating a vaulted type ceiling using loft space from above.

My ceiling joist don't seem to be tied to the rafters and seem only used to hang plasterboards off, so I think removing the ceiling joist should be OK.

The roof seems to be held up by 2 very big beams either side running down the full length of the roof.

So im thinking.... Can I build the rafters out and insulate with 150mm insulation and plasterboard straight over. Obviously leave the beams in but make a nice feature of them? I guess there is extra weight of more timber and plasterboard but looking at the beams they seem big enough to me.

It seems straight forward to me.. Maybe a little too easy? And if it were that straight forward would I have to notify building control.

Please see the pics.. Any comments appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_122510.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122510.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20181021_122506.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122506.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20181021_122629.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122629.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Hi.. Thanks for the reply..

The ceiling joists only rest on the bricks of the house.. They are not tied or fixed to anything. Ive checked them all. Not the bricks or the roof rafters...
The roof beams or perlins as I understand are supporting the roof?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your replays.. Hate to say your right.. :confused:. Not a good idea..

Gonna just repair my original ceiling(y)(y)(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back