Velor gas fire cutting out problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Velor model470s ignites then you see the flames, wait a few seconds then move selctor to relevant heat setting, and it instantly cuts out!

Thought it could somehow be connected to the thermocouple?

Not sure how this works though, my best guess?

The initial lighting of the fire with the selctor knob held down heats up the thermo-couple this then makes an electrical circuit and shorts out the solenoid (thingy) which fits inbetween the Selector valve and the thermo-couple. Some how ( and i don't know) this electrical circuit somehow energises a coil which in turn opens the gas supply to feed the flames. Now if not totally bored yet :LOL: My logic is if the flames got blown out by whatever reason then the thermo-couple would cool, the circuit would become open then the solenoid (thingy) would release and hence shut off the gas.
I made a few test so far, removed the thermocouple, heated the probe end that is normally positioned in the gas flames, with a ohm meter connected between inner and outer, i monitored the results, at cold high resistance (ie open circuit) when hot , the meter showed 1 ohm ( ie closed circuit). so i figured that sensor bit was ok? So is must be the solenoid (thingy) though how this works with out electricity connected i do not know?

Is this *******s or what?

Sponsored Links
It may be or it may not be ;)

Diy,ing with gas is not recommended :evil:

ps I have the answer but it will cost you.

Gas fires are notoriously the most dangerous gas appliance and need a pro to safely work on them.

Saying that, you don't check if a thermocouple is working using ohms ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks like diy-er does not like the answers he is given. Do be advised both authors of replies submitted, are regulars here

:( Oh , i am offended now...

Seriously, i have the up most respect for gas, and next week i will be getting a so called expert to look at it.

I am just curious how things work, always have been even now as a fully qualified electrician.

Moderatly offended to be called a know it all :( Thought i came on hear to ask a question or confirm my thoughts, or not?

00192.png

without giving the game away, here is a clue:cool:

Who has intimated that you are a know it all :confused:

I can see no reference to that. I just want anyone posting on here to be safe and sound ;)

gee im sorry Dave, I never thought you thought I was a know it all.

blimey im sorry,

happy new year bigun ;)

gee im sorry Dave, I never thought you thought I was a know it all.

blimey im sorry,

happy new year bigun ;)

You've confused me even more now Simon. That post was not aimed at you, but the OP :confused:

Happy New Year anyway and hopefully a fit and healthy one for you:cool:

Who has intimated that you are a know it all :confused:

I can see no reference to that. I just want anyone posting on here to be safe and sound ;)

Look a bit closer,

" Showing off is the fools idea of glory !"

Or am i just paranoid, and who's OP :eek:

Yes that is you be paranoid.

That is just gremlins signature line. It accompanies ALL his posts to anyone. Some prefer to have a witty signature line, rather than just be boring like me and have their name there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back