Velux window problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have a velux window GHL - 2 fitted brilliant by the loft converson people 20 years ago but the glass has broken down and the wooden framing has paint starting to peal,

have purchased and new window (upvc type) exactly the same size and was wondering if i can remove and refit the new window with out removing the tiles on the outside and if i cant can i remove a couple just around the window if so how with out breaking them

Sponsored Links
Open the window fully and there should be a 'push pin lock' press both side then the widow should slide out, will need an extra hand to do this.

Doh! re-read your post, did you know velux do a replacement window kit?

hi
but i still have the wooden paint pealing frame in the roof which i want to change for uPVC

thanks barb

Is it a proper upvc roof window? Is there no instruction with it?

Sponsored Links
It's a Tile/Slate removal job to replace the whole issue for UPvc they are fixed to the rafters and the tiles/slates lay over the built in side and backflashing while the front flashing apron site ON the tiles/slates.
So unless you are good on height and working on a roof get an expert. In saying that if you can remove the existing window itself leaving frame in positon the with safety in mind step ladder the right height a length of rope [you'll see why] remove the tiles from back and sides un screw the frame lift the frame oneside and fix the rope around the frame then coax the frame through the gap into the roof space/room.

Remove the window from the new frame and fit the rope then coax the frame through the gap on to the roof set it in position screw down with one at top and one at bottom on the opposite side the ropes on [not tight] then remove the rope if you are sure it' s in the right position. replace the tiles and front flash apron [don't forget the front apron goes OVER the tiles. Re-fit the window. Some will scoff at this but I'VE DONE IT THIS WAY FOUR TIMES.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back