Vent Axia Lo-Carbon Tempra P Single Room Heat Exchanger Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this ventilator? Vent Axia Lo-Carbon Tempra P Single Room Heat Exchanger Fan. http://www.vent-axia.com/product/lo-carbon-tempra-p.html

We've just had one installed in our kitchen as part of a 3 pronged attack on a cold humid room in Winter (new double convector radiator and insulation of heat sinking single brick wall on one alcove still to be done.)

The fan extracts humid air from the room and smells etc and runs them over a heat exchanger so that 79% of the heat from the room is saved from being exhausted into the outside air whilst bringing in clean air from outside.

Our electrician hadn't installed one before but was fully up for the task and is time served. He wired it to our ceiling circuit as advised (6amp) and our model is one with a pull cord for manually switching between trickle - low power mode and boost mode. There is however no 'off' switch and it was only when he left and I read the manual, that I saw he should have installed an isolator switch next to it.

We discussed switches at the time he was here but I hadn't read the manual, which is poor and it did say it was meant to stay on trickle as standard, adding a switch is on one line hidden in text.

When he'd finished installing it, it worked... on pulling the cord it went from quiet fan to loud fan, we were happy. We felt the difference in airflow. He had slogged for 6 hours chasing double sockets into brick walls for us too and I felt he'd done an amazing job.

All would have been fine except that last night, after an extensive clean up of plaster dust from every area in the kitchen, I switched it off boost and onto trickle and left the room to retire. On going to bed it was then I noticed a loud fan noise from the kitchen and the fan seemed to be on boost and even louder than it was on boost before, despite no one turning this on from trickle. I tried pulling the cord to put it back on trickle but it wouldn't change. We ended up having to turn off our whole downstairs lighting circuit at the RCD as there is no off switch otherwise.

Today we turned the circuit back on and it went straight back to Boost mode and there it has stayed. My other half took the fan off the wall to find that the void it was installed in is wide open to the air, as it is a converted rectangular vent that the electrician - in discussion with myself and the manual has installed some 110mm soil pipe through, in order to push the heat exchanger (100mm) through to protect it against the surrounding brick. (Ideally the hole would have been a circular 110mm core drilled hole.) However around the soil pipe it is pure air. I always said I was going to squirt expanding foam around that to seal the soil pipe in so it is not really the fault of the sparky but it was a pretty poorly finished job my other half thinks.

So I now plan to call Vent Axia tomorrow to get troubleshooting advice on why it is stuck on boost mode and then I'll get onto Amazon where I bought it from and see about getting an exchange as it seems faulty.

This leaves me still with the need to get an isolator switch installed though and I wonder how I should approach this with our sparky? Should he add it at his expense or should we be expected to pay to call him out to fit it? He quoted to fit 'the fan' but I did say I was happy with it before he left, as I was not stuck in a situation with a very loud fan at the time that we have to go without downstairs lights for when it gets dark to turn off.

Sorry for essay but I can't explain any more concisely.

Any advice?[/url]

Sponsored Links
It can be connected to the lighting circuit, but, as the instructions clearly state, it should be wired through a triple pole fan isolator switch so that all connections can be isolated for maintenance. You could also use this to switch it on & off if it goes faulty as it appears to have. You need to get your electrician to return & carry out remedial work that he has missed but he may charge to replace the faulty fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back