Vented Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could anyone tel me how important the run of the 22mm vented pipe up to the cold water storage tank in the loft is, the vent would be running from the top of a Surrey Flange as the hot is pump fed.

What I really needed to know was, is it important for the 22mm vent pipe to be run as straight as possible up to top of the cold water storage tank, or does it not have any great difference, it would be run vertical or at a 45 degree initially from the airing cupboard but once in the loft it would run horizontal for a bit.

Hope this makes sense

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
would combining your cold feed and open vent beat any horizontal runs?

and how far is abit?

HI

due to the pipe size which is 22mm it does not matter if you use elbows or run the pipe horizontal.
although best way to do is to avoid unnecessary elbows

Sponsored Links
HI

due to the pipe size which is 22mm it does not matter if you use elbows or run the pipe horizontal.
although best way to do is to avoid unnecessary elbows

Hi, thanks for that, I was not sure that if it were not run vertical within reason, it may aid sucking in air at the pump.

In the loft I will try and use a 45 degree angle as much as possible rather than 90 degree horizontal.

Many thanks

As it is a combined vent and expansion pipe it should be run so that any air, and indeed any water that is pushed or blown out of the h/w cylinder, can freely pass up through the pipe and out over the feed tank. Vertical is best, 45 deg OK, horizontal a no-no. Trapped air will cause noise and possibly a violent discharge of hot fluid (just like an evening in A&E).

as you come off the surrey flange dont go straight up as this would cause one pipe circulation, instead a recommended measurement is 450mm min horizontal off the cylinder with a steady rise. then straight up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back