Ventilation pipes for the fashionista.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When removing the wall cupboards in my kitchen the underside of the boxing for the ventilation pipe from the cooker hood was left open. And that was a good thing really since I now can see that the previous owner made some hasty and stupid solutions. The two pictures blow will hopefully give you an idea.

The serious problem is that the previous owner cased in a kill switch and a fuse box. This is illegal isn't it?
I can also see that the boxing is made of low grade chipboard which this forum has advised me is not ideal for a kitchen. The ventilation tube itself is of that flexible wire and plastic stuff.

Now instead of hiring an expensive electrician to move fuse and kill switch could I just be a proper hipster and just use a stiff galvanised tube as in the picture at the bottom of this post? What are these steel tubes called? Would I need a pro to install it and if so what profession should I turn to? (But I've got medium level handy skills so could I have a go myself?)

View media item 44336note, this last image is not my current kitchen, just a pic I found online!

Sponsored Links
Your explanation of what you propose is confusing, but if you want to live to see your children grow up, I suggest you pay an electrician. Expensive? Yes, but at least the work is guaranteed (for your own peace of mind and for future rental/sale of the property).

A bit of finger wagging eh? Who are you to suggest I don't care about the safety of my loved ones?

My problem is that the electric bits are currently CASED IN BY THE BOXING AROUND THE VENTILATION SHAFT. That is NOT my fault, it is the previous owners fault.
If I choose to leave this open the switch and fuse will be perfectly accessible, safe and legal. However, if I don't rebuild the boxing I will need a firm steel ventilation tube instead of the current relatively soft flexible tube.

My question is about the ventilation tube, not the electrics. If I didn't care about safety, would I have bothered posted this question in the first place?

A bit of finger wagging eh? Who are you to suggest I don't care about the safety of my loved ones?

?
It`s Emily Bronte - She usually has this attitude to posters :eek: In fact she wrote a poem called " Often rebuked, yet always back returning " :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Here's a link with a bit of info for you http://www.i-sells.co.uk/ducting-system-100.

What you are looking for is stainless steel ducting. you should be able to fit this yourself if you feel capable.

I think what Emily was saying was simply that you should not touch the electrical side of things if you are not competent. This is true but maybe could have been worded a bit better. Any electrical work in the kitchen i.e if moving accessories around will have to be notified to building control prior to the commencement. As my understanding is that you are to fit solid ducting to allow access for the fused connection units then you are fine to re do the ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back