venting a cold flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are rebuilding a timber framed extension (not brick) 3.6m x 3m, clad in weather board, roof is obs board covered with 3 layers of felt, 100mm kingspan between joists and have 50mm foil backed board to go under(not up yet), we have a vented soffit board but there is no vent at the highest point/abutment of the roof, so the roof wont vent, can I retro fit mushroom vents? is so do you need 1x per joist space or can I fit 1x every other space with holes between joists?, look forward to any replies thanks

Sponsored Links
sorry just to add there is a 50mm air gap between the kingspan and board

Strictly you need to ensure air flow between the gaps, if you are not putting in one vent per gap (which would look stupid anyway).
If you had, say, 3 across the back of the roof, could you drill a couple of 1" dia holes near the top of each joist, so that there could be at least some air circulation between the gaps?
This wouldn't weaken the joists structurally if it was done within a foot or so of the ends.

Hi thanks for the reply, we have already laid the felt
How easy is if to put in vents now??

Sponsored Links
Also we've got 100mm of kingspan between ceiling joists very tightly in most places
I have taped all joints including the joists is that correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back