Venting chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My c1900 house chimney has 2 flues, which were both not vented. I've now put a vent to one of the flues in the upstairs room which was a relatively easy job as the fireplace was simply covered with plasterboard.

What is the least destructive way of venting the other (adjacent) flue? Could I get away with simply drilling a few holes through the now vented flue to get some airflow between the two, or do I need to destroy the wall to vent the other flue properly by inserting an airbrick (pain to do as wall is plasterboarded and plastered)? Another easier alternative would seem to be just drilling holes through the plasterboard into the brick for the unvented flue, rather than removing all the plaster and making a big hole in the wall.

Either of my easier options likely to work? Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the unvented flue, does it serve a downstairs fireplace?

don't drill holes between flues

An airbrick would be good, but to protect your decorations:

Buy a plastic grill designed for going over an airbrick (if it is a hit-and-miss type, remove the back piece that can be used to block ventilation). If you are rich you can use a polished brass one. If you want to, you can paint the plastic with a single flowing coat of non-drip gloss to match your decoration.

Pencil round the grille on the wall

Drill two or three large holes, such that they will be covered by the grille when it is fixed.

hoover up.

Thanks John - no neither flue serves a purpose. Have now drilled some big holes and covered up with a vent...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back