Venting 2 Chimney stacks and 4 flues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two chimney stacks, one at the front of the house and one at the back.

The front one starts in the lounge and goes through one upstairs bedroom. The back one starts in the kitchen and goes through the other upstairs bedroom.

Each chimney stack has two chimney pots so I imagine that each room had its own firplace and each chimney stack has two seperate flues, one flue for the downstairs rooms and one for upstairs. All the fireplaces have since been boarded over.

I now want to propery vent the chimneys but i'm not sure how I go about this in the upstairs rooms. I was planning on core drilling one side of the chimey stacks in the upstairs rooms but how do I know which side has correct flue. For example I don't want to vent the one flue twice by mistake, upstairs and downstairs.

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
lift the carpet in front of the chimney breast. There would have been tiles in front of the original fireplace so this will tell you where the old fireplace was.

Both fireplaces are in the centre of the chimney breasts.

I have noticed on the chinmey stack that one pot is higher than the other. Im guessing that the higher pot will be for the 1st floor fireplace and the lower one for the ground level fireplace??

Sponsored Links
al - perhaps you could drill a series of small pilot holes (easily filled) into the face of the chimney breast, low down, through the "boarded over" sections. When the drill 'discovers' a void then that may well indicate where the fireplace/flue was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back