Blocking up a Chimney - vents and circulation into cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a terraced house with two rooms downstairs and 3 bedrooms. There is a chimney breast in each of the rooms downstairs and in two bedrooms.

The chimney gathers in a central stack in the attic.

1) What is the best way to block the chimney at the top - there are 4 crown style chimney pots - I assume one for each flue? I believe it needs a cap but how would a cap go on a crown style chimney pot?

2) Also if I add vents to the fireplaces on the ground floor - where should these vents go and how large should they be?

Also could I drill holes into the floor where the chimney breast stands into the cellar below so that once it is blocked up - the vent will supply warm air from the room into the chimney void and into the cellar below.

The reason I was thinking about ventilation into the cellar is after watching this video below.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back