Verticle rad with no baffle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had a few vertical Milano rads fitted a while back, one was a replacement for a slightly older vertical rad. Since they have been fitted I've not been very impressed with the heat output and especially how slow they heat up, normally 15-25mins. The previous vertical rad gave off masses of heat and was the same size. I had a bit of read of the manufactures instructions and noticed a very small note that if input and output pipes are both on the bottom of the rad then they recommend fitting a flow diverter. I had a search and sure enough they make one:

https://www.bestheating.com/milano-flow-diverter-15mm-inlet-63476

Now I'm fairly sure mine haven't got any of these which is probably the cause of the problem, and if fitted the flow of water will be diverted straight around the rad as I had expected it to be.

Now finally to my question, instead of getting the plumber back in I was thinking I can empty the heating system myself and replace the value. The only thing I'm unsure of is how the value fits to the end of one of these things, is it via one of those small copper sleeves that is pinched up ? Also a little concerned about the fitment from a pipe position point of view, as the two pipes come out of the wall so hoping fitting one of these will not cause a problem with where the pipes are ! Basically removing the current 15mm connector and replacing with one of the diverter ones.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You dont need to drain the system, the baffle goes inside the tapping of the rad not the valve

You would just need to isolate & drain the rad and then take it off the wall, fit the baffle and then refit the rad if the valves are from the wall.

Ridiculous that they need to sell them in the first place, they should design their radiators in such a way that they heat up properly or supply the tail with the rad, not then sell them to fix their design problem.

edited for some early morning bad grammer

Last edited:
I’ve got the same issue with 2 new rads. I’m annoyed that the useless plumber didn’t fit these in the first place and left too little jiggle room on the pipes which are now buried in the wall. I’ll have ho option but to dig out the pipe at least at one end then make good after.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back