Very stupid newbie question about replacing floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New house owner, so never done this before. We live in an early eighties house, and some of the flooring in our bedroom has become creaky and spongy.

Am I right in thiking that it is just a matter of doing one of two things:

1) Lift up the carpet and tighten (or drill new screw holes) on offending boards?
2) Remove offending board, take to DIY shop and get a new sheet of wood.

And if 2) is the right option then would a DIY cut the board to size, or do they come iun standard sizes? Heck, I don't even know what kinfd of wood I have!

Sponsored Links
wedge69 said:
Hello,

New house owner, so never done this before. We live in an early eighties house, and some of the flooring in our bedroom has become creaky and spongy.

Am I right in thiking that it is just a matter of doing one of two things:

1) Lift up the carpet and tighten (or drill new screw holes) on offending boards?
2) Remove offending board, take to DIY shop and get a new sheet of wood.

And if 2) is the right option then would a DIY cut the board to size, or do they come iun standard sizes? Heck, I don't even know what kinfd of wood I have!

Try 1 first, this will normally help if the original boards are nailed. Remove the nails if you can and use the same holes.

As nstreet said -try to use same holes if you can.
The reason being that if the nails missed any cables/pipes that are under you floorboards,then screws in the same holes will miss them also (unless you go for really,really long ones.. :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back