Very Uneven Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never attempted anything like this before, so I hope you can please be patient as I may be more than a little unknowledgeable.

I have a largely reconditioned barn (walls, doors and roof), it's long and narrow (4.5m x 18m) and has been split into four "rooms" along its length, partitioned with bare breeze block walls. This was all done before we moved here. I would like to make use of some of this space for a workshop and so need reasonable floors. It’s not a living accommodation so perhaps doesn’t need to be to that higher standard?

The current floor is very poor, concreted in a patchwork of sections, varying heights and there is also the odd 100mm square hole (where I think maybe a post once went). It is quite damp, cardboard boxes which were left in there in direct contact with the floor have soaked up a fair amount of moisture over the winter and even in the damper parts of the summer. The surface of the existing concrete is not smooth but mostly rough and undulates by a fair amount in some places (10-15mm).

What is my best course of action with the floor? I am not sure how to attain a dry, flat and even floor. I would grateful of any useful help and advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you prepared to increase the height? If so, you could put down 70mm screed over dpm. Or (more expensive) self leveling compound over liquid dpm) See the stickies on how to level a concrete floor, at the top of this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back