Uneven Concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a uneven concrete floor, i wouldnt say its major uneven, there is one or 2 patches where there is dents and bumps in some area.
The floor is in outbuilding.

Can i lay carpet tiles over or vinyl flooring or would that attract moisture?

I have thought of laminate but again moisture is my concern. under concrete black sheet was installed (sorry not sure what they called)

My last option is apply pain, but as i am planning to put sofa there thought a proper flooring maybe good

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How large is the floor? perhaps self levelling compound would be a better option.

If you are sure there is damp proof membrane (black plastic) under the slab, there should be no damp.

You can do a diy test, spread out a piece of clear plastic sheet over the floor and leave a day, see if condensation is trapped on the underside of the sheet. If the slab is new, it may still be drying out.

The slab is old over 3 years old and yes i am sure as i laid it for the builders and then they just aligned it before they applied concrete.

floor is around 20sqm

I was hoping id do the job myself as i can do everything just not the floor leveling bit as dont have drills/bits to mix so was trying to avoid this step as i have been quoted £450 to come level the floor. (this could be good price but just lost job so wanted to try myself if i can)

Sorry to hear about losing your job.

Perhaps post some photos of the floor, it might not be as bad as you think.
You can do the self levelling yourself it's pretty straight forward.

Are there bits that would come off with a lump hammer and chisel?

Sponsored Links
DIY and have only done self levelling once
Not too difficult but is hard work if you are doing a lot on your own.

If you have nothing, you could get yourself equipped for about £100
I used my big Titan SDS with a paddle in flexi tubs.
You may be able to borrow, buy used or sell on when done.

A straight edge propped on some packing pieces would give a good idea of dips and humps
I used glazing packers and my 1.8M level.

The floor doesn't need to be super flat. Just flat enough for the floor covering you are going to use.
You can patch dips with SLC. Don't necessarily need to do the whole floor.

Have you considered interlocking foam tiles - cheap and cheerful but might do the trick.

I don’t know if it’s the “correct way” but when we turned a mate’s garage into a studio the floor was uneven. We mixed small batches of concrete and dealt with each depression as we found it, using as straight edge to find high or low spots. Then painted with bitumen /liquid DPM (it was a detached garage 80 odd years old.)
Then a sheet dpm followed by 1” (?) rock wool and a floating floor.

It’s dry 20 years later.

The rock wool might be the expensive bit but everything else was time not money.
We were worried about sound but you can buy foam based insulation left overs or damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back