Vibrations when flushing toilet and now when using washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few weeks, whenever we flush the en-suite toilet, there seems to be a prolonged vibration noise which lasts for approx a minute after flushing. The noise is similar to a chair/table being dragged across a tile floor (we also have a toddler!).

This weekend, we've also started getting the same noise when the washing machine is on (I assume when it's filling). One of the pipes can be felt vibrating, and it can even be felt under the bathroom floor! The noise/vibrations, can be alleviated by running the cold tap at the same time.

Flushing the main bathroom toilet, and/or the downstairs toilet don't currently cause the noise (though previously the downstairs toilet did, but later seemed to resolve itself).

The noise is constant when it occurs, and NOT like a hammering/banging noise, so I'm not sure whether this is water hammer or not (anyone???).

I'm just wondering where to start. I've done a lot of reading about, stop cocks, clipping pipes, the cold water tank etc, but wondering if someone can advise based on the above where to start narrowing this down.

The central heating system is gravity fed if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
It is water hammer.

Start by changing the ball valve in the loo, but it is only a symptom - you will ultimately need to find and clip the water main that is thrashing around somewhere.

It is water hammer.

Start by changing the ball valve in the loo, but it is only a symptom - you will ultimately need to find and clip the water main that is thrashing around somewhere.

Thanks for that. If it's just a symptom, can I just find and clip the pipes, or is it a faulty ball valve, that's causing the extra vibrations that are shaking the pipes?

Also, how does the washer causing the same noise fit into the above (is it just loose pipes?)?

Sponsored Links
...If it's just a symptom, can I just find and clip the pipes, or is it a faulty ball valve, that's causing the extra vibrations that are shaking the pipes?

Also, how does the washer causing the same noise fit into the above (is it just loose pipes?)?

Sorry Dan (or anyone), in addition, when you say to clip the pipes, should I be using copper/brass saddles, or just the plastic type that are nailed in place (I assume copper saddles are more permanent... ).

Also, is it a case of just starting from the toilet, attaching the pipes and working my way towards the cold water tank, or is the issue between the mains and the cold water tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back