Victorian conversion, silent flooring, increasing stiffness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm part way through a complete refurb of my Victorian house which was converted very badly many years ago. The architect I employed who speced the refurb was not the best. I'm trying to work out a sensible way to fix the floors.

The existing floorboards and ceilings were removed. The joists were partially levelled at this stage although not all areas - first mistake. The flooring spec was gypsum silent flooring here which is:

T&G 22mm chipboard screwed on to
Rubber isolating hanger channels sitting on joists with gyproc plank in between the joist
100mm Isover roll
Resilient bars
19mm plank
12.5mm fireline

The floor in question is 5500 x 7500. The joists run the full 7500 front to back supported on the front and back walls with a new steel beam under the mid section. The joists are 170x50

The resulting floor so far is not particularly good. It is flexible and the chipboard floors squeak in one or two areas already. It is more flexible that it was originally I think because the original nailed floorboards added to the rigidity. As the floor is now entirely floating the floor contributes zero.

The squeaks are due to the joists not being levelled. The floor is screwed into the joist channel hangers and not into the joists. The ideas I have for fixing this are:

1) Screwing floor to the joists in problem areas. This will however unisolate the floor from the joists and worsen the sound proofing.
2) Level the joists - difficult as the services have been partially installed.
3) Glue and screw plywood to the chipboard (also improve stiffness)

Any thoughts on these?

Also the floor is flexible in several places and I think contributes to the noise of the floor. The resilient bars have been attached below but the plasterboard is not up yet. The ideas I have are:

1)Steel joist struts - easiest but not sure how effective this will be
2)Sister joist - difficult with services in place
3)Screw and glue plywood to underside of joists. This would create half a box structure - the floor is still floating. Difficult to access later.
4)Screw and glue 2x4 to underside of joists.

Anyone done any of these with success?

Thanks
Simon[/url]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back