New plywood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning to replace some very old and knackered floorboards in a bedroom with plywood sheets. I need a level floor to carpet over and dont want to board over the existing boards due to levels running through the rest of the 1st floor.

I was planning to use 18mm T&G chipboard but have been advised to avoid chipboard as it squeaks. The joists are at 450mm centers so would 18mm plywood be sufficient? Whilst I can get hold of T&G Ply it is far more expensive so will just use ordinary structural ply.

Would it be best to glue and screw the ply down or would gluing just be overkill?

Many thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am no expert but... I have just laid about 30m2 of P5 chipboard. I screwed and glued the tongue and grove only. If you glue the board body down it will be a mare to get up to access services etc. The dimensions for screw distances are in the board somewhere as well as which screws are good/to be avoided.

Its an awkward task for one man to do the big boards so get another pair of hands. Also handy to have two drills as allows you to make use of the other person when screwing done.

Good luck, am sure others will chip in if I am wrong

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping that others agree with you as gluing it all down would be a pain in the ...

I'm still torn between chipboard and ply. Ply is more expensive and not T&G but easier to get down without squeeking?
Chipboard is cheaper and if properly screwed down with good long screws shouldn't work loose and squeek. But more inclined to this I understand.

There is just so little online about laying a plywood subfloor on joists. Far more on chipboard.

Appreciate the advice on getting a mate to help. I did have a look at the sheets of chipboard in Wickes and they looked awkward for one (and they are half the width of the plywood have seen!)

Does anyone know of a good walkthough/guide for laying plywood sheets over joists? I'm struggling finding one with Google.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Go plywood if you have the dosh. Stronger and better. T & g chipboard sometimes ends up squeaking after a few years. Its the tongue meeting the grove. I lay floors over a lot of them. Also ply won't drop like chipboard can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back